What are the settings/steps to putting the N800 into a mode that is the same as putting the N770 into it's case? I guess to me that is defined as "I don't want it to be doing anything except saving batteries and waking up for an alarm" mode.

I tried locking my screen and keys when I put it down last night and this morning, after pushing the power button there was no way to unlock it. The "Push the (*) button" never message came up. The only way to reset it was to take out the battery. Earlier when I left my house, I heard a tone from the N800 that probably meant it dropped the wireless network. I don't know if this messed it up or not. I was hoping that in locked mode, it wouldn't try to attach to the network.

The Following User Says Thank You to tjb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
I use the "offline mode" and this makes a big difference to battery life when just leaving the N800 idle. (But then of course you are completely offline)

I imagine the combination of going offline and locking key input will put the unit into the mode which would reduce battery drain to a min. (Taking it close to the Nokia 770 with cover on etc)

Note: If you lock the keys you will not be able to switch off or snooze the alarm quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeL For This Useful Post:
The equivalent of the 770 case mode is to press the 'I' button followed by the center of the 5-way pad (or use the stylus).
However, you must set two timeouts to be the same: In the control panel, select screen and set both to the same value. (This is reported as a bug in bugzilla). After that, pressing the two buttons will immediately lock the screen and turn off the display. Edit: This doesn't turn off wi-fi unless you have specified it to, but I believe this is the same for the 770 - you don't want it off anyway, it doesn't use much power and someone can still contact you in voip/chat.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Read and vote for bug #943 - this bug asks that the 770 "case on" shutdown functionality is added to the N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
There's quite a bit of rubbish on that #943 bug page.. e.g.

'The use case is something like "check mails while waiting for train on platform, train arrives, tuck N800 away quickly". You wouldn't want to press a small button, wait for a menu to pop up, select an entry, confirm, put the stylus away.'

To activate the N800 you don't wait for a menu, you don't select an entry, you don't confirm, you don't use the stylus. You press two buttons: The 'I' (power) button, and the center pad button. Just as you do to turn off/lock keys. The only issue is really two buttons against one button. I have no problems with two buttons, maybe someone could get that 'hold one button for two long seconds' thing implemented, for those who would prefer that.
There's no need to de-activate the wi-fi, for example. Or the gprs. My n800 has been on wi-fi all day, the battery _still_ shows 6 hours/8 days.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The equivalent of the 770 case mode is to press the 'I' button followed by the center of the 5-way pad (or use the stylus).
However, you must set two timeouts to be the same: In the control panel, select screen and set both to the same value. (This is reported as a bug in bugzilla). After that, pressing the two buttons will immediately lock the screen and turn off the display. Edit: This doesn't turn off wi-fi unless you have specified it to, but I believe this is the same for the 770 - you don't want it off anyway, it doesn't use much power and someone can still contact you in voip/chat.
I set WiFi to turn off after 5 minutes (I don't want people to contact me; I'll contact them). My standby time is "forever".

"Oh sh*t it's my stop!" is usually the situation I find myself in and I don't have the time to dawdle or hunt and peck - with the 770 this was never a problem. With the N800, something better than what we have now is required - using a button designed to be hard to press is not ideal.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
There's no need to de-activate the wi-fi, for example. Or the gprs. My n800 has been on wi-fi all day, the battery _still_ shows 6 hours/8 days.
Sure there is!

As stated in the bug, some of us work in sensitive environments and don't want the N800 scanning wireless networks all day from within our pockets. And if you were to configure the N800 to use a network away from home the N800 is at liberty to reconnect automatically which is not what you may want it to do (so you have to delete the network to stop the N800 from connecting).

So yes, being able to lock the device quickly AND disable all wireless connectivity IS required. By some of us at least!

Enabling "Soft Power Off" (via the systemui.xml file) and giving it "top priority" (so that it appears at the top of the power-button popup list) was exactly what I needed. It doesn't disable the WiFi, which is fine for me since I kinda like the "Always On" philosophy (as long as it doesn't affect battery life too much, and I don't think it has, in my case), but it turns off the screen and locks the keys immediately. It's not as convenient as the 770 cover, but power-button-enter-button is pretty quick to turn it off, and holding down the power button to turn it back on isn't too horrible.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
And if you were to configure the N800 to use a network away from home the N800 is at liberty to reconnect automatically which is not what you may want it to do (so you have to delete the network to stop the N800 from connecting).
Or, just don't save the settings when you first connect to the network?