Anyone connecting to a home webcam via Sailfish? I am having issues with my D-Link. I do not use "the cloud" on my camera. I get email alerts for motion detection, and occasionally connect to a live feed directly via IP address. Both are problematic on Sailfish. The email client will not show the jpgs in the emails without downloading them to the gallery first. This is super annoying; it's slow and cumbersome if I want to quickly view the email alert (motion detected, I get many in a single day), and then I have to delete them from the gallery. This is madness; not every email attachment needs to be downloaded. And then there's the live feed over IP (http://IP/video.cgi). The browser often chokes on the feed, and insists on downloading the feed too, in tiny increments, over and over. So again with the files I need to delete after simply viewing the feed. The Opera browser can't seen to do it at all. Anyone else doing similar, or have thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I don't have a permanent home camera, but my work involves various cctv systems from time to time.

I pull the RTSP stream from my cameras direct into LLsvPlayer. On wifi it works well enough up to 1080p25 in a 4Mbps stream, I don't think I've tried faster or fatter. I haven't tried over the cellular link recently, but it worked on my Jolla 1 some time back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
I appreciate the suggestion, but it did not work in the app. Maybe because a login is required ?

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
If your security policy allows it, you may be able to inline the authentication in the url?

Something like...
Code:
rtsp://user:pass@ipaddress:port/streamlocation

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Regarding video feeds
You could also try with other browsers :
- sailfish native WebPirate (uses QtWebKit instead of Fennec like the original Browser by Jolla)
- FireFox Android works on Sailfish
- Google Chrome works on Sailfish (and is a different flavor of WebKit than Opera).

I am strongly suspecting that your connected cam doesn't use a standrad video system correctly (e.g.: it's not an HTML5 video tag fed off rtsp), but some weird buggy contraption (e.g.: abusing http in non-conformat ways) that they haven't thoroughly tested everywhere.

Hence my peculiar recommendation (a standard Webkit native app, and then android app which are basically pocket version of the 2 desktop application most likely to have been tested).

If that cam was only tested with internet explorer or with edge, or if it only works with flash or java plugins, you're basically screwed.

Regarding the JPEG :
they are not exactly "downloaded into the gallery".
E-mail attachement are downloaded into "${HOME}/Downloads/mail_attachments/", Picture taken with the Camera are stored inside "${HOME}/Pictures/Camera/" or even on the SDcard, depending on settings.
They just all "show up" in an unified gallery due to how file indexing works in sailfish.
(But you'll need to navigate to a different directory using your favorite files management app)

Mobile phone applications (not only Sailfish OS, but also older OSes like webOS and PalmOS) tend to NOT download attachements automatically to save space on the device and bandwidth on the data plan.

You can change the behaviour in app "Settings" -> bottom tab "Apps" -> icon "Email" -> toggle "Download images automatically".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Regarding the JPEG :
they are not exactly "downloaded into the gallery".
E-mail attachement are downloaded into "${HOME}/Downloads/mail_attachments/", Picture taken with the Camera are stored inside "${HOME}/Pictures/Camera/" or even on the SDcard, depending on settings.
They just all "show up" in an unified gallery due to how file indexing works in sailfish.
(But you'll need to navigate to a different directory using your favorite files management app)

Mobile phone applications (not only Sailfish OS, but also older OSes like webOS and PalmOS) tend to NOT download attachements automatically to save space on the device and bandwidth on the data plan.

You can change the behaviour in app "Settings" -> bottom tab "Apps" -> icon "Email" -> toggle "Download images automatically".
I have toggled the downloading of images automatically to off because if I view images in email it does download them to the phone. This is not how other email clients work. I want to be able to see the image without saving it outside of the email, and also be able to then delete an email and the image with it in one step. The Sailfish email client will not let me view the image in an email without saving it. I then have to go delete it, outside of the email app.

I have no doubt what you say about the video feed being non-standard and poorly designed/tested. But it works on all desktop browsers, the Blackberry 10 browser, and Android browsers (never had iOS to test there). And none of them create these while doing it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uvSQj6ckmbatriHF3

(I am completely aware that my situation is not a common one, and do not expect things to be designed for me. I am only looking for solutions and work-arounds.)

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Is the annoyance with the downloaded pictures the delay while downloading/viewing or the deleting? As a possible workaround you could schedule a script to do the deleting.

The Following User Says Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Is the annoyance with the downloaded pictures the delay while downloading/viewing or the deleting? As a possible workaround you could schedule a script to do the deleting.
Or set the email client to download them automatically. Drawback: it will download images in all emails, you cannot choose selectively.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands
I have been using a AD app for my home cam which is connected to a Synology. Only this app stopped working some time ago. Now iI am also looking for a alternative. Have not found one yet....will keep searching.

The Following User Says Thank You to BonoNL For This Useful Post: