Active Topics

I just downloaded and installed Kagu 1.0.8 yesterday and found it to be my favorite music player for the n800.

Here's my questions and comments.

Is there a way to select a song and have it play immediately instead of adding it to the playlist? I don't use or maintain playlists.

Sometimes I'll be listening to a song and want to switch to another song in the middle, but selecting the song just adds it to the playlist. Then I have to go to the now playing and scroll to the bottom...

OK, now the comments...

All transport and buttons should be larger so they are easier to touch. Especially because there appears to be room for larger icons.

I love the artist pictures. I've never seen that in any media player before.

I hate iTunes. (had to throw that in)

A configuration/customization UI page would be nice and it could have the option for add to playlist or start playing immediately.

The jump-to song position feature is nice, but a progress bar at the bottom would be nicer, instead of off to the right corner above the album art. Also, being able to scrub through the track by touching the progress bar would be nice.

The kinetic scrolling is way to fast for me (maybe a preference in a config section), and having to click twice on something for the interface to accept what I want is kinda of annoying, but I sort of understand why.

options for album and artist views would be cool, too. like a 3x3 table instead of only being able to see 3-4 albums at a time.

Sleep timer is awesome...Wish I could set it to other values besides 1 hour.

Will there ever be support for video files? Even if it's just browsing my collection and opening them up in mplayer.

Overall, great work!

great comments fsr76
we'll need a configuration page/app soon, at least set preferred media players and choose theme. could add some behavior toggles there like you mentioned too i guess. we're working on a seek-bar and a position save/bookmark system for the next release btw.

about the sleep timer, any values you'd prefer? 1, 2 and 3 hours? something else?

we're considering support for video files but haven't decided yet.

btw, we will be delaying the release scheduled for this week one or possibly even two weeks, sorry about that. (it'll have a hot new theme though)

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Would like to know when will 1.0.9 Beta will be available to download from www.guardiani.us/projects/kagu/wiki, thanks.

Last edited by heavyt; 2007-10-02 at 21:21.

Trevarthan: HELP! You'll perhaps have noticed another thread related to the topic of inability to install Kagu after having flashed the new firmware, due apparently to an inability to re-install Python. I have had no problems in the past installing Kagu because I've had Python already installed. This new firmware is causing major problems, as you can notice elsewhere in this forum. Have you and your crew any solutions, brilliant or otherwise? This is a desperate situation, and I trust I'm not exaggerating. Regards.

PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks to Tahitibob in the Troubleshooting forum. We shouldn't have to be put through this by Nokia!

fsr76:

I fully understand your desire to "Just play back a track" without having to add it to the playlist. However, once I accepted the idea of the playlist (which is the centerpiece of KAGU´s workflow) I am now quite comfortable with the way KAGU handles playback.
I usually add a couple of songs from different albums now in quick succession, and then add songs on the fly (while the playlist is playing back other songs). It feels like pre-programming an old record jukebox and then listenting to my selection for the next hour or so....
At the moment I see no programming activity to play back songs or albums which are NOT part of the playlist, so PLEASE get accustomed to it..--)))

Originally Posted by audioworld View Post
At the moment I see no programming activity to play back songs or albums which are NOT part of the playlist, so PLEASE get accustomed to it..--)))
It would be great if there was an option to "add to playlist and play now" as well as "add to playlist"...Again, this could be a configuration option.

I fully understand the reason for adding a bunch of individual songs to create a playlist while not having to hear each song as it's added to the playlist.

But, if you're trying to find a particular song to listen to, and you don't quite remember the name, then "add to playlist and play now" works best.

Secondly, I think there should be a Playlist feature and a Recently Played List. What Kagu seems to do is substitute a Playlist for a Recently Played List. Those are two different things and they should be treated as such in a media player.

If I'm missing something about Kagu functionality where I'd be wrong in what I'm saying, please correct me.

Last edited by fsr76; 2007-10-04 at 20:44.

Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Trevarthan, et al: Okay, I'm managed to effectively edit the tags in my 92 songs, assembled them into a playlist, which is now being stored as you point out in ~/.kagu/playlist.m3u. So unless I either mistakenly or intentionally create a new playlist (which would override that one), I guess I can retain ready access to that assembled playlist for the time being in that file, until your next version is released, which hopefully, according to your expectations, will have the ability to label and store (or delete) multiple playlists. Again many thanks to you all for the great work.
As a follow-up to this, I'm now doing the obvious thing of creating a backup to playlist.m3u that contains my 92 songs. After I play other music items by creating new playlists, which each override the existing playlist.m3u, I can then copy my backup playlist back into playlist.m3u to again utilize my 92-song playlist. I'm just trusting the next version of Kagu will contain a means for saving various playlists without my having to go through my present contortions so as not to lose my assembled 92 songs.

@ascherjim:

yes, I am quite sure that the developers are working on multiple playlists, as there is a menu item in the top menu (non-working at the moment).

@fsr76:

no, you do not miss anything about the current KAGU functionality. However, I would not support your suggestion that KAGU uses a "Recently Played List" instead of a "real" playlist. It IS a real playlist, which turns into a Recently Played List as soon as the songs have been played back already, but you can indeed look "into the future", so you do see the pre-programmed song flow.

I always try to include the changes and some workflow tipps in the WIKI at:
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/wik...?id=304&type=g

If anyone of you has hints how I can improve this WIKI, please let my know by private message in this forum. thank you.

it's that time of the week again: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=10567 (released 1.0.9)