It's official, Nokia is ******ed.
I gives a damn if English is not their first language, if you're going to market and sell a $400 product to native English-speakers I expect them to be able to frickin' SPELL correctly.
Gee, I wonder if that's why they also delayed the N-Gage launch? Probably spelled it M-Gage on the real URL.

Perhaps Engadget should run a story on how Nokia's illiteracy problem has led to their tablets not being able to install software or updates?
Maybe then they'll start paying attention to us in here when we start costing them customers due to lack of trust/faith in their products?
There are only three things on this planet that people listen to:
Lawyers, guns, and money. Usually in that order.

Last edited by iball; 2007-12-25 at 03:23.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You'd think the the Omweather developer would have been pounding some doors about his program not being available. Maemo is a mystery. If whole swaths of things don't work, they don't seem to care too much.

I mean, let's say you had a misspelled directory on your computer, and it stopped you from running some important programs. Do you think it would take you forever to find out what was wrong? I don't think so.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
You'd think the the Omweather developer would have been pounding some doors about his program not being available. Maemo is a mystery. If whole swaths of things don't work, they don't seem to care too much.

I mean, let's say you had a misspelled directory on your computer, and it stopped you from running some important programs. Do you think it would take you forever to find out what was wrong? I don't think so.
Of course, it being FInland everyone has probably been off for the last two weeks celebrating Christmas.
They probably won't return until week after next. By then the "hype" will have probably died down a bit and they'll ignore it as always.
Of course, if someone were to post in their little bugzilla over there and everyone slammed on that bug then maybe they'll wake up.
But I doubt it. They still can't get SIP to work over VPN, even though a bug or two has been posted on it and commented on it a lot.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Here's my take on what this workaround is doing:

Nokia does not actually have a server named "repostory" (missing i), and this was not all caused by a spelling error.

As Speedy posted, any misspelling or random-name.maemo.org gets treated as an alias for (and is redirected to) "stage.maemo.org".

Judging by the server name, it appears we are using a server intended for staging, ie. for internal testing prior to copying the repositories to the public production server (repository.maemo.org).

Per Wikipedia:
Website development usually involves staging and production servers.

The staging site is used to assemble, test and review new versions of a website before it goes into production. The staging phase of the software lifecycle is often tested on hardware that mirrors hardware used in the production environment.
Normally before deploying an updated version of software to the production environment, the update has been tested in the staging environment.
We're just lucky that Nokia's staging server is publicly accessible and that admjo found it (even though he misunderstood, and believed it was an indication of a spelling error).

The production server that we should be using (repository.maemo.org) is just FUBAR right now for some unknown reason. We may get an explanation when the right people get back from vacation at Nokia.

Last edited by technut; 2007-12-25 at 06:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
I build Linux-based web servers for a living (and I make a damn good living at it) and the path Nokia is on in regards to their repository server is mind-boggling.
No one in their right fcuking mind would EVER have a staging server sitting out reachable to anyone on the internet!
All of our staging servers sit behind two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits. IN Europe we even ran off two different VOLTAGES because we were really paranoid. (one 110v the other 240v)
And none of that is taking into account the off-site mirrors we have setup in case the entire colo disappears in a cloud of C4 explosive.
This sh1t ain't hard to get right the first time.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
let me get this right.
that's two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits.

Originally Posted by iball View Post
I build Linux-based web servers for a living (and I make a damn good living at it) and the path Nokia is on in regards to their repository server is mind-boggling.
No one in their right fcuking mind would EVER have a staging server sitting out reachable to anyone on the internet!
All of our staging servers sit behind two firewalls from two different companies linked to two different circuits from two different ISPs and run off dual power supplies connected to two different electrical circuits. IN Europe we even ran off two different VOLTAGES because we were really paranoid. (one 110v the other 240v)
And none of that is taking into account the off-site mirrors we have setup in case the entire colo disappears in a cloud of C4 explosive.

yea i know this is the wrong place for this lol but how do i install that mario game on my n800. like what catalogs do i need. and is it possible to get doom2?

The Following User Says Thank You to max bro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
In some respects if your staging servers are not publicly accessible then they're not facsimiles of production infra which in my mind is what staging should be - as close to production infra as possible, that way any problems in production can be reproduced or your new staging build can be tested in a production-like environment. External access is often a crucial part of testing, without it you're on a wing and a prayer when you release to production having completed internal-only testing.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
At work we have several staging and production servers and some of them have public and other have restricted access. The difference usually is that the staging servers are hosted in smaller machines with less redundancy and that's only for economic reasons (nobody will spare you $50K machines to play!!).

Many times a staging server will become temporarily a production server if needed and it seems that this is the case here too.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Maybe then they'll start paying attention to us in here when we start costing them customers due to lack of trust/faith in their products?
They are so very good at producing pretty promo material and nice web site presentations but they fail to recognize that in real business the true large scale push of a product and services comes from 'referrals' (word of mouth). This occurs most strongly from 'the user base'.

Why is it they are thrilled to see multiple N800 orders roll in inspired by people like us promoting the platform to others, yet they are perhaps failing to recognize that if the core user base grows justifiably frustrated and looses faith in their product......they are done....and will be finished off completely by the negative storm....very very fast.

Nokia's & co's advertising itself will be but a whisper in the face of the Itouch/iPhone Apple loudness if this core user base is not critically supported....with effective effort.

I had a healthy debate last night with a pro photographer friend who I originally promoted Palm TX to and then later N800 to consider purchasing. In the story of my frustrations with my N800 and the OS and install issues in general, he ended up with an iTouch. It is a sad little thing compared to my N800. No speakers and it has a small screen for a photographer to find much value......BUT it works consistently and with a few funky tricks like the magnify technique. He's keeping it.

So we just lost another possible N series customer(at the pro level) for no good reason other than this OS2008 shmozle and the repository issues etc etc etc etc etc.

That really means they just lost probably 5->10 other sales that might have come through his word of mouth promotion.

end note: I just bought a Canon SD750 camera based largely on his advice. He has one for in his pocket and spoke highly of it. Case in point.

Tags
extras