How much effort would it take to have a Gemini/Cosmo Communicator port? Are there any plans in that direction?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mithrandir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
I'm hoping that one day there will suddenly start a yellow update blink on my N900 and when I check what it is it says "Maemo 7 (Leste) is ready to be installed. Do you wish to continue?"
While potentially possible, I am not sure this would make sense. It's likely a bit too invasive. But some form to make it easier to try would be nice.

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Agree, and luckily N900, Pro 1 and Droid 4 cover a lot of terrain.
Luckily N900 is included it does offer the best display. And the most productivity say ANTI-addictive useless time-wasting browsing social media is a built-in feature assured by hardware limitation.

Same here. I think just running it on favourite device and report would do , however I am totally out of it, hard to imagine following a cryptic manual.
I had a terrible time installing Sailfish X on Xperia X and that was supposed to be wel documented smooth user friendly process Only second to wasting time on Windows issues or installation.

I have a feeling though that if I was to devote time, even pay annual fee for Maemo Leste support and development, the reward would be bigger than all the money and effort invested and stress endured due to would be alternatives to N900. (Jolla, Neo900, certain "privacy" Android ones...)
There are no plans for any "annual fees". We might eventually set up a way for people to donate, but I think right now that just complicates everything, because we'll have to do something with the money, and that's always complicated. If we can do without that kind of headaches, that would be my preference.

Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
How about Maemo-Leste for Jolla Phone?
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
How much effort would it take to have a Gemini/Cosmo Communicator port? Are there any plans in that direction?
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
TheKit has managed to nspawn Leste on Proš!
I hope i am allowed to share but i sense he only did not here since he is busy with more important things.
Colors are BGR swapped but that is only the first mention from 27th Jan.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...200127_001.png
For the above three devices, libhybris in some form indeed might work, but we (Maemo Leste) are not currently planning to support this kind of setup. I think we can revisit what "tiers of support" we could offer for various devices once we're happy enough with the support one of our target devices. Only then do we know that our userspace is in good enough shape that it makes sense to think about how to expand the (hardware) base of support.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Maybe it is too early ask, but what is camera photo/video status for devices? Leste web-pages doesn't tell it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:
Well I dug an old N900 out of the closet today. Had to build a battery for it. And solder a USB cable to it. I tried flashing Fremantle but that got stuck in a boot loop. Not sure why. But flashing Leste went smoothly.

Good job to those working on this. Keep it up. I wish I could contribute in some meaningful way, but hey I can at least test it. Maybe I'll start lurking on the freenode.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flynx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Could it be possible to get some updates of Leste? I understood the main target is now Pinephone to get it work, but any news about Leste for N900 would be nice to have. I have been checking occasionally the N900 status table but there is no update date so not sure how updated that status is.

Checked also from Leste youtube channel videos and noticed that one device had VLC, gnomeplayer, wireshark etc. installed. Would be nice if someone had time to list what apps are working already.

Like tomorrow is my birthday and everything.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Australia
Could it be possible to get some updates of Leste?...
Do you know of the IRC (chat) logs? http://maedevu.maemo.org/irc.txt
That's where you'll find all the latest news.
I generally do CTRL + F to find specific keywords. You can sift out some screenshots by searching ".jpg".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mike727 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Never used IRC. Maybe I should try. If the info is there.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Could it be possible to get some updates of Leste? I understood the main target is now Pinephone to get it work, but any news about Leste for N900 would be nice to have. ...
That's actually not true, for now the main targeted devices are still Nokia N900 and Motorola Droid 4. The Pinephone is indeed a targeted device as well since it is relatively easy to get an up-to-date mainline kernel running on it, but it is not a higher priority target than the N900 or Droid 4.

Checked also from Leste youtube channel videos and noticed that one device had VLC, gnomeplayer, wireshark etc. installed. Would be nice if someone had time to list what apps are working already.
Since Leste is based on Devuan (so Debian without systemd) you can bet that most applications that run on your Linux desktop will run on Leste as well, as long as it has an ARM binary compiled for it. And that's a lot of apps already As far as I know the main challenge is not getting applications to run on it however, but getting them usable on touch-input devices with (for now, generally) low resolutions.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
That's actually not true, for now the main targeted devices are still Nokia N900 and Motorola Droid 4.
Thank dog for that!
(Since I own both... )

the main challenge is not getting applications to run on it however, but getting them usable on touch-input devices with (for now, generally) low resolutions.
So true.
Even on current Fremantle e.g. claws-mail works just fine, but the UX is extremely painful even with the stylus.
FWIW, I don't think the low resolution is the problem but the high density, compared to desktop monitors (the N900's 800x480 would take up a significant screen area on my desktop, much larger than the phone's actual screen size). Fonts are sometimes large enough, sometimes way too small, toolbar buttons and other icons tend to be tiny etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
toolbar buttons and other icons tend to be tiny etc.
I think it is sometimes better tiny buttons and icons than no enough buttons fit to screen. I actually like those Maemo software that have to use with pen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post:

Tags
leste, maemo 7