Active Topics

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
ug. been a long time for me but I see that this is still a problem. I won't hold my breath on freemantle or anything official. Just for kicks I tried a basic mono BT headset just to see if BT itself and A2DP is worth another look. The functionality and buttons are there but the sound quality is still only marginal. There seems to be a hardware issue with BT vs WiFI and if so then this will never be adequate. Wired sounds so much better that it isn't worth it to me to hack BT even if wireless would be ideal.

There are some patches in the later Bluez which improve sound quality - there was a mistake in the code for the versions we've been using.

I've been using these patches for the DSP stuff, and am happy to produce an ARM-only version too when I get round to releasing another set of dsp-sbc binaries.

I'm still getting the same error (alsa-lib: pcm_bluetooth.c:1589bluetooth_init) BT_GETCAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)), after rebooting and repairing multiple times. The instructions mentioned some patches for mplayer. Are they still required? I'm just using 1.0rc1-maemo.29.n8x0 from the Extra's repo.

Thanks qwerty12! It works perfectly now.

Gentooer: I've seen that error lots of times, no idea what causes it, I'd be tempted to reboot the n8x0, then use "a2dp enable" and see if it works (in fact I no longer need to use a2dp enable, whenever I connect my headset it just works in a2dp mode (even after reboots/re-installs of bluez-utils) - I also got to a point where a2dp enable would disable, and vice-versa; confusing!)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i keep seeing a "missing operand" message or something like that when i do "a2dp enable".

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Gentooer: I've seen that error lots of times, no idea what causes it, I'd be tempted to reboot the n8x0, then use "a2dp enable" and see if it works (in fact I no longer need to use a2dp enable, whenever I connect my headset it just works in a2dp mode (even after reboots/re-installs of bluez-utils) - I also got to a point where a2dp enable would disable, and vice-versa; confusing!)
Am I have supposed to install a bluez-utils package? I didn't see anything about that in the instructions..

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
There are some points about the a2dp-support package.

The audio.conf is for an older version of bluez, dunno if it makes a difference but I made the modifications manually to the bluez from the current version:
http://pastebin.com/f350a5c60

I've edited the a2dp script:
http://pastebin.com/f1911d4b2

This one automatically switches on bluetooth, enables a2dp for mplayer & xmms too. I've also made it pop up "bubble type" notifications instead of dialog ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Am I have supposed to install a bluez-utils package? I didn't see anything about that in the instructions..
No, this is just to enable DSP support. In fact that version of Bluez is old now and I have to compile the newer version.

Wow i'm an idiot. I copied over the device ID incorrectly 3 times thinking the last "C" was a cut off "0".
Works great now! Sound quality is amazing! Just wish it didn't use so much CPU..

EDIT: also doing anything on the tablet causes the audio to skip..

Last edited by Gentooer; 2008-12-30 at 16:43.