Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
You are soooo wrong. iPHONE was way beyond modern. That is why NOKIA is till playing catch up after almost 6 years since iphone launched. Way beyond modern in the whole integration, ease of use, just beautiful product. Everyone today on the market IS iphone copycat!!
Repeating yourself wont make it right, there was a low profile cam in it - wifi not working properly - no MMS - it was a pretty expensive gameboy with mp3-player and phone functions with a modern design and marketing strategy when it first came out... iPhones were announced having first copy&paste on a phone - having first videoVOIP on a phone having first intuitive usage - real multitasking and so on... now think a second when did they announce what and who already got the feature they marketed with and sometimes even for years! I honestly don't know why apple didn't get one lawsuit after another because of these commercials (which can give pretty large fees over here), fear maybe? I am still waiting for someone showing me iOS's real multitasking^^ [/flame]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Repeating yourself wont make it right, there was a low profile cam in it - wifi not working properly - no MMS - it was a pretty expensive gameboy with mp3-player and phone functions with a modern design and marketing strategy when it first came out... iPhones were announced having first copy&paste on a phone - having first videoVOIP on a phone having first intuitive usage - real multitasking and so on... now think a second when did they announce what and who already got the feature they marketed with and sometimes even for years! I honestly don't know why apple didn't get one lawsuit after another because of these commercials (which can give pretty large fees over here), fear maybe? I am still waiting for someone showing me iOS's real multitasking^^ [/flame]
The market spoke and android copied it, windows copied and Jolla is
Copying it. Nothing else to discuss unless you are into alchemy.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Jolla is in part "taking so long" because in China (one of their primary markts) companies that do well are ones that have made a concerted effort to connect with their intended audience. Its not about marketing there as much as its about trust and reputation. That's not how things are sold "in the West," which marks as where much of this conversation thread has gone awry.

Another thing...

The appeal of the Jolla to that kind of audience is not in specs, nor is it in the goodwill that's done toawrds Nokia (their reputation is quite diminished towards that Chinese market, speaking towards my previous point). The appeal will be towards personalization. After trust and reputation, its the ability to address some sign of being an individual while not being too apart from the common culture. By making the *rear* of the device to transform it, they are allowing a commonality of experience on the front - the most seen area - and individual expression. That will appeal, and right now has been enough to allow Jolla to meet some of that initial needed attention.

I know I'm talking about thigns that seem flighty, but in terms of the sociology of mobile, these are the little details that come into play when looking to make a dent into mobile. Apple paid attention to these details for the iPhone, and to some degree, Palm did with webOS. Nokia has done this many times, so much so that Finnish/Nortic design elements are actually seen as necessary to aspects of customizing mobiles.

To me its simple. Jolla is doing what's required. I get the impatience on the side of fans, but unless you are doing something with code and documetnation, right now it doesn't seem that Jolla offers you much more than commentary in order to get into the action. Personally, I'd like to be in a position of helping to set direction and smooth out aspects of the product in markets like the USA, where the ecosystem of the back cover, doesn't quite make sense. But, Jolla isn't branching here. Not with where they are right now. Talk.Maemo could be a part of helping them branch out into saturated mobile markets like the USA, but only when aspects of fandom get put aside for making ...

...ah, but enough posturing on my end. I'm sure that this convo will spark some needed reverb into efforts to keep aspects of the N9/50 fresh (kernal updates, maturing of some apps and services, and *hopefully* improved development tools so that more of us "non-coders" can jump into the fray). Jolla could then come into two markets:
- the Nokia diaspora existent in current and saturated Western mobile markets
- the upcoming middle classes in the newer major markets of China, India, Kenya, Brazil, etc where mobile isn't just something to have, but a ticket to "a better life"

Sociology not specs

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
I actually don't care what market share Jolla gets compared to ios, android, wp etc. I dont see that it matters. They're a small company with a Niche product that doesn't need to sell 100 million phones in 2014

All i care is whether it fits my needs because the n9 is getting old and i don't want anything else but a n9 successor.

LUMIAMAN! please tell me why you bought 6 nokia n9s and gave them away? Did you suddenly realise when you bought the 6th one that it wasn't so good?

I was really tempted when i saw the L920 camera and wireless charging but it was only the hardware that cought my attention. My wife's got the L800 now and setting it up was very fustrating. Offline maps wouldn't download in the background and the Skype app can't receive calls unless you're actually using the app. Then i realised it didn't have mass storage and had to use the awful Zune program to transfer. What i'm trying to say is i now think that it's s***.

^ Lol, my thoughts exactly.

But I do wonder how many devices they will sell in a 6 month window.
1 million? 100, 000?

It does matter, because the more it floats around the better it will be for repairs, warranty swaps, components, and of course third-party support (accessories and software).

I'm flattered

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
My only worry is that when they release, the specs will be completely outdated. At the moment, most low end Android phones are rocking dual core processors, and that is where Jolla is sitting.. It will be fine for sailfish, but for the acl it will most likely be mediocre...

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
My only worry is that when they release, the specs will be completely outdated. At the moment, most low end Android phones are rocking dual core processors, and that is where Jolla is sitting.. It will be fine for sailfish, but for the acl it will most likely be mediocre...
Can you clarify for me exactly what specifications you are referring to and what benchmark you are using when you talk about "outdated"?

Lenovo's K900 is dual core, and thus outdated and "low end" (by your definition) and yet seems to smash out some pretty impressive benchmarks......

given that Dual core is all you know about Jolla's CPU spec, I'd be very cautious about making assertions.

People need to step away from swallowing the idiotic cr*p that is being perpetuated by the media who are implying that more is better, just because hardware specs (and now the new screen p*ssing competition) are the only way android OEM's seem to be able to differentiate.

I'd rather have I highly optimised OS running on a good dual core processer, specc'ed to suit the performance requirements of the device and guaranteeing good battery life, than some 6" HD monster screen octa (wank) core behemoth that runs a bloated os and can't get through the day without a recharge.

I'm not planning on using my handset as a launch computer for a manned trip to mars....

Last edited by onethreealpha; 2013-06-02 at 03:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
Can you clarify for me exactly what specifications you are referring to and what benchmark you are using when you talk about "outdated"?

Lenovo's K900 is dual core, and thus outdated and "low end" (by your definition) and yet seems to smash out some pretty impressive benchmarks......

given that Dual core is all you know about Jolla's CPU spec, I'd be very cautious about making assertions.

People need to step away from swallowing the idiotic cr*p that is being perpetuated by the media who are implying that more is better, just because hardware specs (and now the new screen p*ssing competition) are the only way android OEM's seem to be able to differentiate.

I'd rather have I highly optimised OS running on a good dual core processer, specc'ed to suit the performance requirements of the device and guaranteeing good battery life, than some 6" HD monster screen octa (wank) core behemoth that runs a bloated os and can't get through the day without a recharge.

I'm not planning on using my handset as a launch computer for a manned trip to mars....
First of all.. calm down.. that is not what I was saying. My friend has a dual core android phone and it runs most apps quite well. All I am saying, is that the android market is rapidly advancing. Sooner or later, developers are going to take advantage of the extra power of modern devices. Quad core at around 1.5ghz+ is becoming standard in modern phones, and if it ends up being a dual core under 1.5 ghz.. combined with a lacklustre GPU, its going to struggle to run spec intensive android applications, and for me, this is a bad thing. And also, having multiple cores helps manage the power required so quad core can be mighty helpful.

So.. in my case, a lower end CPU and GPU is really going to let the phone down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJJonosound For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Android's latest power jump doesn't come from speed. It's all about BIG screens. Any noone great bigger and better screens than android devices ATM.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by DJJonosound View Post
First of all.. calm down.. that is not what I was saying. My friend has a dual core android phone and it runs most apps quite well. All I am saying, is that the android market is rapidly advancing. Sooner or later, developers are going to take advantage of the extra power of modern devices. Quad core at around 1.5ghz+ is becoming standard in modern phones, and if it ends up being a dual core under 1.5 ghz.. combined with a lacklustre GPU, its going to struggle to run spec intensive android applications, and for me, this is a bad thing. And also, having multiple cores helps manage the power required so quad core can be mighty helpful.

So.. in my case, a lower end CPU and GPU is really going to let the phone down.
First of all.. I'm very calm
All we know is "dual core" and nothing else. As I said before, the Intel offering in the Lenovo is smoking even the octa-spank exynos in the SGS4 on some benchmarks, so I wouldn't jump to any assumptions about what to expect from Jolla.
Also, whilst it makes commercial sense NOW to ride on the back of the many Android application markets, Jolla intends to push a store with native apps. It's entirely feasible that, assuming success of both the handset and OS, dependence on anything Android will be solely for proprietary apps like Skype etc.
We'll all find out before the end of the year....