Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Something like '*saima-' (nectar/honey) in Proto-Germanic, which became 'Seim' (syrup, apparently fallen into disuse in favour of 'Sirup', which is actually an Arabic loanword) in High German, or 'zeem' (honey) in West-Flemish.
Regarding 'sima' ~ 'seim':
According to this decade old library Q&A webpage (a butchered Google translation) there supposedly isn't a connection.

( I tried to tweak the translation of the relevant paragraph to a bit more sane direction, caveat lector: )
According to Häkkinen, in Finnish literary language "sima" was first mentioned in the proverbs of Henrik Florinus in 1702. In Karelian poetry its meaning is "mesi", while in Estonian dialects it means "plant juice, liquid, mucus, sweat". The Danish dialect word 'sime' ('drizzle, drip') is assumed to be of the same Germanic ancestry(?) as the Finnish word 'sima'. In German, there is also the word "Seim" for 'honey, a sticky liquid', but at least for the time being by using reconstructions it hasn't been found to connect to the word 'sima' in Finnish.
(I'm not sure if the quote above even makes much sense but it is something)

Yes yes, way OT and no photos... my apologies and all that jazz.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Is this fungi enough? It's a polypore I found on a dead tree. I have no idea what kind of bracket fungi it is but it looks nice and it's fairly common in the old Swedish forest where I live.
Sony Xperia X and Jolla stock photo app. Cropped with Pix.

Last edited by eson; 2019-07-19 at 12:39.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tmi View Post
Regarding 'sima' ~ 'seim':
According to this decade old library Q&A webpage (a butchered Google translation) there supposedly isn't a connection.

( I tried to tweak the translation of the relevant paragraph to a bit more sane direction, caveat lector: )

(I'm not sure if the quote above even makes much sense but it is something)

Yes yes, way OT and no photos... my apologies and all that jazz.
Thanks for that link! Although I still think the connection seems reasonable, as Finnish has many loanwords of PIE origin, and the fact that it also appears in Estonian and other Finnic languages (each time with a similar meaning) makes it quite likely that the word has belonged to Finnic/Finnish vocabulary for a long time. Of course, similarities between words (especially short ones) can also be purely coincidental, but still. Derivations don't always follow 'the rules', either, and commonly used words in particular are highly resistant to change.

I was doing a little more research, and now I found out that long ago, the PIE 'med' ended up in the Uralic tongues - it was lost in Finnish but continues to exist in Estonian, Hungarian and all of the smaller languages, all with the meaning of 'honey'. Our ancestors must have really, really liked their honey.

(I'll see if I can take a picture of some fungi to offset the whole discussion about honey.)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by eson View Post
...a dead three...
When Freddy Mercury was a young lad, he once picked up a rock and smashed a window. Before his mum managed to run out to stop him, he smahed another one. She shouted at him, "What are you doing? You have broken two windows!"
He replied, "But mum, I want to break three!"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Maybe the winning pictures of each month's competition (unless they really don't fit) could be sent to neochapay, who's looking for wallpapers to add to Glacier:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=147

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I'm quite busy with my new job at the moment. So not to much input on TMO at the moment. Anyway, I'm still around and of course i don't want to miss this month's competition.

Here is my entry:

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Something is rotten with your picture, Fellfrosch What phone has it been taken with and when?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I'm quite busy with my new job at the moment. So not to much input on TMO at the moment. Anyway, I'm still around and of course i don't want to miss this month's competition.

Here is my entry:
https://i.ibb.co/qnrHTX2/20190722-185733.jpg
I hate it when that happens, but at least you could turn it into art! When life hands you mold, make strawberry lemonade.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Something is rotten with your picture, Fellfrosch What phone has it been taken with and when?
Indeed. I've forgotten to tell more about the pic. It was taken yesterday evening with my Xperia X. Because of the rubbish focus on macro shots, I had to sharpen it afterwards a little bit with darktable.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Hmm now I know what a fellfrosch could be... it is not Kermit, because the picture looks like a red fellbeere = pelt-berry, seems like when they are fresh, that they get eaten by a pelt-frog.

Sorry couldn't resist. I like your name since I saw it the first time, makes me smile.
And good picture with the sunlight from the side.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition