Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chicago, IL
Is anyone else connecting via BT over T-Mobile’s Edge network?, I’m test driving a Samsung t509 and am not seeing a significant difference between the t509 speeds and my Moto V3razr which was only able to connect to GPRS, maybe I’m expecting to much but right now it does not seem to be worth the $100.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by eaaronp
Is anyone else connecting via BT over T-Mobile’s Edge network?, I’m test driving a Samsung t509 and am not seeing a significant difference between the t509 speeds and my Moto V3razr which was only able to connect to GPRS, maybe I’m expecting to much but right now it does not seem to be worth the $100.
I am. In fact, I did the exact same thing you did: Replace my Razr with a t509.

From my experience, EDGE speed is variable and coverage can be an issue (in which case you fall back to GRPS speeds). I assume that you asked T-mobile if EDGE support is available in your area?

Brad.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
run the dslreports test http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed/

The Following User Says Thank You to phi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I have a razr v3 also, and also was considering switching to a t509. I do not have edge in my area, but I figure I would like to use it when I am in other areas. 4 times the speed for the same price, that is a no brainer. Have any of you actually connected to an edge network yet with t-mobile service? Was it faster? Should I save my money?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Chicago, IL
I've been at this a week, I'm in the Chicago area and have rarely gotten to full signal strength on the 509. Using the cnet test the highest speed I've seen was about 120 which would be about 4 times faster than the razr which would peak at about 30. Is it worth it?? It all depends on how much money you think $100 is. At least with the razr/GRPS it was consistent the edge seems to waffle back and forth between GPRS/Edge speeds so when the signal strength is at peak so is the speed when the signal strength is low it seems to default to GRPRS. I could not get the mobile speed test referenced in an earlier post to load on the 770 something about java script??

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by penguinbait
Have any of you actually connected to an edge network yet with t-mobile service? Was it faster? Should I save my money?
Yes. Yes - as quoted, I easily got 4x the speed. Got me.

Brad.

Maybe a dumb question, but is the t-mobile edge network fast enough to support "google talk" on the 770 when the new OS comes out?

Originally Posted by bradpitcher
Maybe a dumb question, but is the t-mobile edge network fast enough to support "google talk" on the 770 when the new OS comes out?
Depends upon what you mean by support... I'm certain text-based chat will work fine (has always with GPRS) but I've never used any voice clients (which gtalk is supposed to support, correct?)

I've noticed that the speed does seem variable (using the site referenced above, I get 144-175) but the latency is terrible - almost always 1.7-2 seconds. I wonder how that will affect voice?

Brad.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
Has anyone successfully tried this? I've connected using a Nokia phone using Cingular network but have a new Blackberry with an unlimited data plan. If you have, can you send me "the recipe" to follow to setup my Nokia 770 to use my Blackberry?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, by support I mean "will voice chatting work". I'm not to worried about downlink, the bandwidth should be plenty there. I'm worried about the uplink. I believe google talk uses the iLBC codec which requires 27 kbps in both directions.
Plus, does anyone know if T-mobile is going to continue to add edge coverage or are they saving up all their energy for the 3g rollout in 2007?