Electric cars like the Prius, are however, really annoying to drive in hilly areas as they quickly run out of battery power and then you start crawling using the ICE. I can understand using electrical in a city, especially if you get free parking/no entry charges/etc.

But for driving elsewhere, petroleum spirit all the way (or an ICE that is sufficient to drive the car on its own, with electric used for short bursts of power/driving in traffic)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Electric cars like the Prius, are however, really annoying to drive in hilly areas as they quickly run out of battery power and then you start crawling using the ICE. I can understand using electrical in a city, especially if you get free parking/no entry charges/etc.

But for driving elsewhere, petroleum spirit all the way (or an ICE that is sufficient to drive the car on its own, with electric used for short bursts of power/driving in traffic)
Err... You describe a Prius in your second paragraph (against which you argued in the first one).

All-electric in the city is a given (especially in Europe), you don't need to be a prophet for that.

For other uses (medium/long range, larger sizes), a Volt-style generator + electric drive is what looks best to me as a best of both worlds (and doable with present day tech). Horsepower of the ICE does not matter as much (i.e. you get your HP boost for accelerating from batteries, and ICE only power defines your *average* energy budget, which is a very different story). Also, the 'US thing' factor, where you need twice the horsepower in a car than anyplace else regardless of what you do (but that might just be me seeing things wrong because of driving a 990cc car

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
one thing that came to me right before sleep was that one could pull a train/tram like solution for long range travel by electric vehicle.

that is, think of the highway as a electric train setup, where you drive onto the track at the on-ramp and hook onto the provided electric power, recharging the internal battery and powering the vehicle for the whole trip at the same time.

when ones destination is reached, one is directed to a off-ramp, and go back to running on the internal battery.

if parking spaces then provide on location charging, one will find that the range of the vehicle becomes virtually unlimited.

and for vehicles that need to operate for longer term outside of urbanized areas, there is hybrid diesel...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The acceleration problem of batteries is overcome by using the supercapacitors. They're especially useful when used in conjunction with regenerative braking in hilly areas. When you go down a hill, you brake and charge the capacitors, and when you go up the other side of the hill, the capacitors boost you up the incline.

Err... You describe a Prius in your second paragraph (against which you argued in the first one).
Ah, but it depends on the environment.

The Prius ICE is not sufficient to drive the vehicle up hills for example.

Anyway, sorry that was my fault for not explaining myself properly, and I also understand that the car has changed (better ICE and batteries iirc) since I was driving the Japanese version a fair few years back, so it's perhaps not so relevant any more anyway.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Ah, but it depends on the environment.
The Prius ICE is not sufficient to drive the vehicle up hills for example.

Anyway, sorry that was my fault for not explaining myself properly, and I also understand that the car has changed (better ICE and batteries iirc) since I was driving the Japanese version a fair few years back, so it's perhaps not so relevant any more anyway.
Yes, they increased power considerably over the generations, I'd say went maybe even a little overboard for the latest/next iteration (100hp ICE + 80hp electric).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
The scary thing about these all-electric vehicles is that, at the present, the power grid doesn't have nearly enough capacity to support a large-scale changeover from gasoline.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The scary thing about these all-electric vehicles is that, at the present, the power grid doesn't have nearly enough capacity to support a large-scale changeover from gasoline.
This is not true so long as charging is done during off-peak hours such as nightime. In fact, vehicle to grid (V2G) could provide support to the grid. This is when energy is put back into the system from the charged batteries. Intelligent grid infrastructure (aka smart grids) will be required to accomplish this. This is a hot topic in the industry these days.

Mike

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
More news here, http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/30/auto..._leaf_pricing/

Apparantly, if you are from California, the price tag will be $20,000! Else will be $25,000...Will Volt be competitive, afterall?
And, "Leaf's standard features will include navigation and Bluetooth telephone connectivity", ah, finally it gets to the point for the geeks!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-03-30 at 20:57.

Wait wait wait, 367MPG??? Could you like drive to work and back for like two months and not have to refuel?
________
Mercedes-Benz 300 Slr

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:41.