Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
I'm betting on no. You'd need at the very least, for the package (type and number of solder joints to board) and the package dimensions to match up, unless you want to carry around an external board holding your chips
The safest option will be using the eMMC chip from a 64GB N9...

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, México
I can sell a cheap N9 64 for testing, it is so beated up and the digitizer doesnt work. $270 USD + shipping

Last edited by dcastrog; 2012-08-22 at 00:38.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tampico, México
and can be negotiated

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm very interested in outcome of that - especially, that if HtheB really have access to required $$$ tools, it would be possible to change N900's OneNAND to one containing 1GB RAM (quite hard to get exactly same type with more RAM, but still possible)

We all know what it means, and where harmattan can hide, then

/Estel
If you point me to the right direction where the chip is located at, and where to find one, I can try to swap it

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Changing /any/ SMD chip has already been discussed since N900 days, especially the eMMC and SoC.

tl;dr version of every single discussion on this already:

It's possible, but incredibly impractical to do so unless
a) You can obtain a single part for cheaps, and
b) You have access to $$$$$$ tools to properly do the swap.

You'd probably have to be a very bored EE to do this instead of buy something else.
so this is a no go for the N950?

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
If you point me to the right direction where the chip is located at
On N900 ?

On N900 but I think it is the same on N9/N950 too, ram chip is a PoP chip, so it is soldered on top of cpu like a sandwich.

OneNand (on N900) is in the same chip which contains ram.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
If you point me to the right direction where the chip is located at, and where to find one, I can try to swap it

so this is a no go for the N950?
Seems changing eMMC is completely possible I just googled it seems a lot of andriod users are doing it.

What I need is the correct chip, I'm thinking buying a second hand black 64G N9 for the safest chip.

And I'm wondering if I can find expert to do the N950 resemble as it's much more complicated than N9, and of course swapping the chip.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Seems changing eMMC is completely possible I just googled it seems a lot of andriod users are doing it.

What I need is the correct chip, I'm thinking buying a second hand black 64G N9 for the safest chip.

And I'm wondering if I can find expert to do the N950 resemble as it's much more complicated than N9, and of course swapping the chip.
yes, but you need to be sure that the pins under the chip are the same... I will look how the pins looks like on the N950.

I'm taking this risk for all N950 users out there....
/heromode off

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
do it for n900's RAM (for 1GB) as first priority, and You will reach Maemo Community's valhalla, in one big step.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
do it for n900's RAM (for 1GB) as first priority, and You will reach Maemo Community's valhalla, in one big step.
Show me a picture which chip it is, and which chip I need to put on (like which brand etc) and I'll do it

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Show me a picture which chip it is, and which chip I need to put on (like which brand etc) and I'll do it
If you accomplish it, I will be your first customer

Tags
chips, memory, soldering