Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Antarctica
This is probably old news, in some sense, but I haven't had much luck googling specifics, just the occasional 'yeah, they recognize it as an N900 and block it (from using web2go)'

To clarify - I'm assuming there's some module or packet in the update from PR 1.2 to PR 1.3 that tells T-Mobile (or plausibly any operator) that you're using an N900. Does anyone know anything specific about this?

Basically, it seems that if they know your handset isn't a 'dumbphone', they block the "web2go" service (the one you'd connect to via the internet2.voicestream.com APN) and you'd have to upgrade to a smartphone data plan - one that uses the epc.tmobile.com APN.

Interestingly enough, web2go isn't blocked for the Nokia Nuron...heh

Is there a workaround for this? Or - to start - can anyone else confirm this (that tmo blocks web2go upon upgrading to PR1.3)?

And, I guess from an ethical perspective, is the community ok with a module that identifies your handset to the operator...

Thanks in advance

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
Not sure what your talking about but im from australia my currentl location is Las Vegas, bought a T mobile pre paid sim week ago, unlimited data, ive been ripped down so much over night its not even funny, and my SIP calls work perfectly on it.

Hey, did you get a plan, or just using it per-minute? Does that $1.49/day unlimited data work on the n900?

(you've upgraded to pr1.3, right?)

Originally Posted by chris_r View Post
Hey, did you get a plan, or just using it per-minute? Does that $1.49/day unlimited data work on the n900?

(you've upgraded to pr1.3, right?)
I have a T-Mobile Prepaid SIM in my N900.

I am using the "Pay As You Go" plan.

I am in Los Angeles/Santa Monica area and use the $1.49 day data plan (Web DayPass) once or twice a week. When I open my browser, I am forwarded to a T-Mobile URL which offers me the option of purchasing a Web DayPass, I accept and my Prepaid Balance is debited $1.49.

I then have web access for 24 hours. Download speeds in most locations are typically 1 to 1.5 Mbps with best speeds about 3 Mbps and worst about .4 Mbps. Upload speeds are similar, maybe a bit slower.

Last edited by ajax1; 2011-02-20 at 09:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajax1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by chris_r View Post
To clarify - I'm assuming there's some module or packet in the update from PR 1.2 to PR 1.3 that tells T-Mobile (or plausibly any operator) that you're using an N900. Does anyone know anything specific about this?
Why do you assume this? I haven't heard about any addition like this, and if Nokia were going to add something like this I don't see why they'd wait until PR1.3 to do it.

It is possible for T-Mobile to use a technique known as TCP fingerprinting where they analyse the characteristics of yout TCP/IP packets to guess at what OS you are using, they might also check your browser headers to see how your browser identifies itself, they might also look at the type of traffic and if it is traffic they wouldn't expect from the type of device they expect you to use they might block you based on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Why do you assume this? I haven't heard about any addition like this, and if Nokia were going to add something like this I don't see why they'd wait until PR1.3 to do it.

It is possible for T-Mobile to use a technique known as TCP fingerprinting where they analyse the characteristics of yout TCP/IP packets to guess at what OS you are using, they might also check your browser headers to see how your browser identifies itself, they might also look at the type of traffic and if it is traffic they wouldn't expect from the type of device they expect you to use they might block you based on that.
Mostly going on hearsay, but the clearest thing I've found is here in the comments section.

I suppose either of those methods are plausible/likely -- the phenomenon I'm looking into is specifically something in PR 1.3 that seemingly didn't exist in PR 1.2.

But hey, good input, thanks man

Been running PR1.3 since it came out, still using the cheap ($9.99 when I signed up, IIRC) plan, bittorrenting, httping, and sftping loads of data (>10GB/mo), and no complaints from T-Mobile USA yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Upgrading to PR1.3 has nothing to do with your N900 device been identified by T-Mobile. The mobile used your IMEI number to identify your phone. I had a problem with tmobiel web2go back in 2009 when I got the phone but quickly switch back to tzone and never had the same problem since. Tmobile nolonger carry tzone plane.

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
AFAIK the network operator can identify the make/model of your phone as soon as you insert a SIM card and switch it on. That's how they manage to send you configuration SMS specific for whatever model you have. And I know for sure that the N900 identifies itself correctly and is recognized by operators. I don't know if that's PR1.3 specific. I'd think that's part of the GSM spec or so.

Last edited by foobar; 2011-02-20 at 16:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Upgrading to PR1.3 has nothing to do with your N900 device been identified by T-Mobile. The mobile used your IMEI number to identify your phone. I had a problem with tmobiel web2go back in 2009 when I got the phone but quickly switch back to tzone and never had the same problem since. Tmobile nolonger carry tzone plane.
Yes, they identify your phone based on IMEI, has nothing to do with PR level.

For instance, I have a Huawei S7, capable of both voice and data. I use the $10 web plan on my N900. If I put the sim card in the S7 data immediately stops, and I'm prompted to upgrade (either apn). As soon as I put the sim card back in my N900, data works just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post: