Notices

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Fuelpad 0.82 is now available for Fremantle in extras-devel . I am not one of the chosen ones, so I can't test it myself on N900. Does it even install? I would be really glad to hear usage experiences on the device.

This is a quite direct Fremantlelization of the Diablo version. For those who don't know what Fuelpad is, I refer to the garage home page http://fuelpad.garage.maemo.org/. First public versions of Fuelpad were released in the beginning of 2008 and it has been available in extras repository from about the beginning of 2009.

Some things to note:
  • Fuelpad uses libgtkextra-x11-2.0 library for drawing the statistics reports. Both libgtkextra and Fuelpad are optified.
  • The fuel database (sqlite3) is stored in /home/user/MyDocs and it is open all the time. Could someone suggest a better place now that MyDocs can be exported via USB?
  • The database import wizard starts from the second phase for some reason. After proceeding from the first, you can come back to the first phase (the preview of the file)
  • garage bug tracker is used https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?group_id=554

And did someone ask for screenshots? You'll find two taken on the SDK in garage:

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
It installed nicely on N900 and after a quick test it seems to work at almost correctly.

I had some problems with database import and I don't know how it should be done correctly. I got all the information in N900 only when I manually replaced database in N900 with old database from the N810 and the I made also export in N810 which I then imported in N900. Copying database did not make the trick and it was also impossible to use menu to open different database.

Import of csv file from N810 started from first phase. Import of database was not possible at all or it didn't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to mve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by mve View Post
It installed nicely on N900 and after a quick test it seems to work at almost correctly.

I had some problems with database import and I don't know how it should be done correctly. I got all the information in N900 only when I manually replaced database in N900 with old database from the N810 and the I made also export in N810 which I then imported in N900. Copying database did not make the trick and it was also impossible to use menu to open different database.

Import of csv file from N810 started from first phase. Import of database was not possible at all or it didn't work.
My Diablo install of Fuelpad had similar results on my N800 when trying to import (had to reflash) my fuelpad.db from external memory card. I kept getting 0's in columns. For now I'm maintaining a CSV at home but will attempt an import again somewhere down the line-either after a couple more updates are released or I get tired of remembering to enter on the PC.

Otherwise, really enjoy the application and find it essential for my personal interest in record keeping.

Thanks! That's good news. Did the Finnish localization work?

I completely agree that the database import is not that intuitive. It is not meant to be used for importing data which was exported by Fuelpad (the complete database is not exported). I'll need to work on the import since I can understand that many people have used other tools before and want to import their old data.

At this time, I left out the possibility of opening a different database on purpose, but that will be included later.

Do you mean that the database open from the menu did not work in the N810 version?

Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
My Diablo install of Fuelpad had similar results on my N800 when trying to import (had to reflash) my fuelpad.db from external memory card. I kept getting 0's in columns. For now I'm maintaining a CSV at home but will attempt an import again somewhere down the line-either after a couple more updates are released or I get tired of remembering to enter on the PC.
What do you mean by "trying to import my fuelpad.db"? You can either import a csv file or open an alternative database file.

If you like, I could look into your csv if there are really problems in reading it. You should find my e-mail address with the following command in xterm on your device

Code:
apt-cache show fuelpad|grep Maintainer
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
Otherwise, really enjoy the application and find it essential for my personal interest in record keeping.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jlu View Post
Thanks! That's good news. Did the Finnish localization work?
Yes Finnish localization worked right away.

At this time, I left out the possibility of opening a different database on purpose, but that will be included later.
I thought that copying old database from N810 to N900 should bring all my data to N900 so I got little bit confused about how to make it happen. From the user perspective replacing database file with one containing some data should just work. There should not be any need to use open database from the menu.

Do you mean that the database open from the menu did not work in the N810 version?
Nope. N810 has been working correctly for me all the time. I meant that importing database was not possible in N900 fuelpad. I tried to use Import functionality for database file from N810 because I couldn't find any other way to get that data. And only way to get driver and car info was to replace N900 database file and then importing csv file from N810 fuelpad. After that I could see all old data in N900. Replacing database bring only car and user information.

There might be some problems with "rajaa näytettävät" (sorry don't want to boot tablet to see correct English name for this) menu entry. I don't know how it should be used because there doesn't seem to be any way to activate the selection. There are just AND/OR selections and 'Clear' button for the different information. I would like to get rid off some of the tabs in main screen. I don't like pan screen left and right.

Any way this is excellent program to keep up with fuel consumption. Thanks a lot for making it.

Yes Finnish localization worked right away.
Good!

I thought that copying old database from N810 to N900 should bring all my data to N900 so I got little bit confused about how to make it happen. From the user perspective replacing database file with one containing some data should just work. There should not be any need to use open database from the menu.

Nope. N810 has been working correctly for me all the time. I meant that importing database was not possible in N900 fuelpad. I tried to use Import functionality for database file from N810 because I couldn't find any other way to get that data. And only way to get driver and car info was to replace N900 database file and then importing csv file from N810 fuelpad. After that I could see all old data in N900. Replacing database bring only car and user information.
Did you check if you actually had the data also? Your current car might have been the default one with no data. Changing the car requires to press the button beside the car selector, not just selecting it.

There might be some problems with "rajaa näytettävät" (sorry don't want to boot tablet to see correct English name for this) menu entry. I don't know how it should be used because there doesn't seem to be any way to activate the selection. There are just AND/OR selections and 'Clear' button for the different information.
"Filter records" in English (not a word-to-word translation to Finnish, as you see). Yeah, I know, it's not very well working. Filtering and importing are the two things that I am not very happy with myself either.

I would like to get rid off some of the tabs in main screen. I don't like pan screen left and right.
You mean the table of your fuel records? As you remember the Diablo version had a dialog of choosing which columns to show. I did not implement it yet for Fremantle but that I'll do that.

Any way this is excellent program to keep up with fuel consumption. Thanks a lot for making it.
I did it for myself and at first thought I would not release it publicly. I'm glad I did - you can't be thanked too often!

Good!

Did you check if you actually had the data also? Your current car might have been the default one with no data. Changing the car requires to press the button beside the car selector, not just selecting it.
If I remember correctly I didn't change car so it's very possible that it was a reason why I didn't seen any data.

When you have implemented those few missing features I believe that it will be ready for the public.

[*]The fuel database (sqlite3) is stored in /home/user/MyDocs and it is open all the time. Could someone suggest a better place now that MyDocs can be exported via USB?
If the file doesn't need to be accessed with the file selecetor /home/user is the correct place.

If the file needs be accessed with the file selector then there is no other place. There could be some kind of import/export interface which would copy files between MyDocs and the actual directory.

After updating N900 SW I install Fuelpad again and noticed following small visual problems:

1. Application manager shows small icon for Fuelpad and it's name starts with low letter 'f'.
2. After installation there is no icon for Fuelpad in the menu. It appears only after reboot.

Everything else seems to work correctly. I would say that after fixing those smaal issues it is ready for extras-testing.