Poll: are buying the nokia n9
Poll Options
are buying the nokia n9

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Southern California
Not interested in another slab touch only phone. N950 would have been near perfect after the community got cracking at fixing some of Nokia's failure with it, but meh.

Android would be the biggest hope, but they're too focused on CPU/RAM and not enough on storage and convergence.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
It still strikes me how Maemo/MeeGo consumers have to be so much concerned about the product being a success or not, and getting angry with N9 having or not a keyboard... Do Android forums and Iphone forums have discussions anything remotely similar to that?

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
It still strikes me how Maemo/MeeGo consumers have to be so much concerned about the product being a success or not, and getting angry with N9 having or not a keyboard... Do Android forums and Iphone forums have discussions anything remotely similar to that?
Maybe Android and iOS users are not worried about their platforms future, because neither Apple's or Google's CEO has said that they will discontinue their own platforms no matter what happens.

And there are multiple android devices with keyboard and iphone is mainly used for just calling and playing games where keyboard is not vital.
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

yes they do, but google and apple do support their platform , wrong way but they do.
selop pretty much killed maemo updates, i dont know how he managed to do this since the support should be AT LEAST 2 years for devices. n900 barely 2 year old in november.

destroyed symbian resurgence, they try fix it with support until 2016.

and now sabotaging n9 sales too.

and yes people with android and iphone do like keyboards too >_>

Two scenarios possible:
1.) Will the N9 be the only Meego phone in the near future? If yes I'll buy one.
2.) Will there be alternatives to the N9 running Meego? Then I'll check those out and not buy from Nokia anymore.

The N9 does have all the disadvantages already stated several times. But yesterday I gave Android on my HD2 a try and was shocked a GPS app asks me for permission to take pictures and videoa on the camera. NO way I would allow that, which denies the chance to install. As Andrdoid without applications seem to be not a smart, but rather a dumbphone, I'll stick to Meego.

Replace Android by iOS or WP7 as required.

The Following User Says Thank You to kobold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
you know what, i'm going for android, there is some apps that i just need and will never get to meego, such as whatsapp, zynga poker, all the 3d ea games, ........... yes the n9 still has the best ui, and one of the best hardware, but the nexus s will still have a better os .......
open source is the future, and it looks like google is driving the train ....

hi,

i am really interesting by N9 , but only if the most application N900 are migrated on Meego plateform.

i would prefer a keyboard...but no choice.

Best Regards

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Doubtful now. Lack of Flash support even in Fennec, potential lack of distribution in my market (North America is still unconfirmed) and I think the people in our office have decided that Maemo is no longer an viable OS - iOS, Android, WP7 so far are confirmed to be supported by us in the near future.

Intel AppUp is on my personal radar, which might mean x86 MeeGo development in the future.

And due to my total disbelief that Nokia would have gone to WP7 that I have to purchase a Nokia WP7 device. Great... me and my big mouth.
I am still doubtfull buying Sasmung Galaxy SII, the only valid Android competitior. But it has no NFC and i dislike the frontbutton and i HATE flash and I dont want a stupid "ecosystem" I want a fully Linux not some crippled Linux from Google. But I must admit that it would be great to havce hdmi like SII :-(

But yes I will buy N9.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-07-10 at 12:26.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
This endless discussion about lack of hwkb is pointless. Harmattan UI is portraitmode OS.

Even on many videos with the devphone(N950) people use vkbd cause many apps is portrait.

I'll get one if the price is right

The Following User Says Thank You to violentgoomba For This Useful Post: