Active Topics

Linux on board: Linux powers Nokia 770

by Peter Seebach (dw@seebs.net), Writer, Freelance, 22 Nov 2006

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork.../l-lob770.html

"The Linux®-based Nokia 770 Internet tablet is an intriguing gadget for Linux enthusiasts. Though it lacks most of the personal information manager (PIM) apps one would expect from a palmtop-sized device, recent advances in its development environment make it a toybox for hobbyists and professional embedded developers alike."

-- Denis

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Yep, it's on now. "Big Blue" showing interest in the 770 and everything that makes it great can only lead to an even greater future for this mobile computing idea.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
I saw that in my referrer log. Naturally he linked to my LEAST favorite USB power injector solution

IBM was a Palm partner for a while, rebadging each Palm device between the PalmPilot and the m505 (other than the IIIc) as IBM Workpads. However, since Palm forked to either the failed Zire and Lifedrive series and Treos, IBM's partnership fell away. Maybe they're looking for the next insanely great thing.

I would hope so. A Google/IBM/Nokia backing would put these devices in the pockets of every business user.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Not to mention some of the brightest minds that represent these organizations would likely bring some pretty neat ideas to the Internet Tablet table.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

actually everyone has forgotten about the IBM Zaurus 6000. this was the last commercially available Zuarus b4 the current c range. It was designed to show off Websphere portal tech and delivery of enterprise apps to a mobile device.

Lets hope IBM get back into the game with the 770, especially given thier support of all things Linux and web standards.