Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
[...] Installing apps generally make use of space in root....
Per https://together.jolla.com/question/...vm-volume-size all these tedious workarounds become unnecessary.

I cannot comprehend, why Jolla still sticks to 2500 MB root volume size per default, despite numerous bug reports since 2015 (when they started using LVM), a pull request in their Git etc.

Well, the logic "this only affects power users and they shall be able to help themselves" is dreaded, but has some appeal:
So help yourself (because Jolla won't)!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes!

This was the first thing (extend to 4G, now having 2.5G used!) when I installed a fresh system. But doing this on a proven stable modded system is risky and I did not dare to do it on my JollaC. And of course ran into this design flaw.

Originally Posted by olf
So help yourself (because Jolla won't)!
.This is unfortunately so true

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
[...]
But doing this on a proven stable modded system is risky [...]
No, not really, because no content of the root and home filesystems is altered, hence the SFOS installation proper stays untouched.

If there is not sufficient free space on the home filesystem to shrink it to the desired size in step 3.3.2.a.2 / 3.3.2.b.3 (as rendered at TJC; 3.3.2.a.9 / 3.3.2.b.10 as rendered at GitLab.com), this command will fail with an appropriate error message and no shrinking is carried out.
One just should not blindly keep executing the subsequent steps, then.

P.S.:
I just did not denote that section 3.3.2 works just as well on any other SFOS device, which uses LVM, plus old SFOS installations, because that opens up a lot of corner cases and failure modes (e.g., the one discussed above), I did not want to research and document.

P.P.S. / edit:
I forgot that the Jolla C = Intex Aquafish = Inoi R7 (= Jala Accione?) has only 16 GiB of eMMC (FLASH memory; the provided values were calculated for 32 and 64 GiB FLASH, as mentioned), so better check beforehand by calculation, that shrinking the home filesystem to 10 GiB frees at least as much space (rather a couple of 10 or 100 MB more) on the home LVM volume as you want to add to the root LVM volume. If not, you will have to shrink the home filesystem to less than 10 GiB (how much depends on the LVM space you want to re-designate).
See, a lot of special cases to consider, when broadening the scope beyond fresh SFOS installations on Xperias.

Last edited by olf; 2020-10-09 at 00:01. Reason: Denoted special case of 16 GB devices

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Explicit thanks for this head up. And the post scriptum!

I would definitively have to do that before daring to update old JollaC to 3.4...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Does this mean anything to anyone? It popped up upon accepting the 3.4.0.24 update:

Name:  Screenshot_20201009_001.png
Views: 245
Size:  522.2 KB

I tried doing as it said, but the only two packages I managed to uninstall were libjpeg-turbo-jpeg8 and gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad - and I have my doubts about the latter, as it took half the other packages down with it, including the camera.

Everything else tells me this:
Code:
[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished
Fatal error: This request will break your system!
[root@Sailfish nemo]#

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have my doubts about the latter, as it took half the other packages down with it, including the camera.
Specifically, this:
Code:
[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished                                                                           [                                         ] (0%)
The following packages have to be removed:
 gstreamer1.0-droid-0.20200731.0-1.18.11.jolla.armv7hl  GStreamer droid plug-in contains elements using the Android HAL
 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-1.16.2+git2-6.armv7hl GStreamer streaming media framework "bad" plug-ins
 jolla-camera-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl       Jolla Camera application
 jolla-camera-lockscreen-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl    Quick capture viewfinder for the lockscreen.
 jolla-camera-settings-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl      Setting page for jolla-camera
 patterns-sailfish-applications-1.0.43.1-1.20.1.jolla.noarch    Sailfish Applicati
Removing
Removing packages
Resolving dependencies
Removing packages                                                                                                                     uFinished
[root@Sailfish nemo]#
(Pasting here mostly for my own records, since I have to unplug the phone from SSH and take it with me to collect the kids from school.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Specifically, this:
Code:
[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished                                                                           [                                         ] (0%)
The following packages have to be removed:
 gstreamer1.0-droid-0.20200731.0-1.18.11.jolla.armv7hl  GStreamer droid plug-in contains elements using the Android HAL
 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-1.16.2+git2-6.armv7hl GStreamer streaming media framework "bad" plug-ins
 jolla-camera-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl       Jolla Camera application
 jolla-camera-lockscreen-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl    Quick capture viewfinder for the lockscreen.
 jolla-camera-settings-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl      Setting page for jolla-camera
 patterns-sailfish-applications-1.0.43.1-1.20.1.jolla.noarch    Sailfish Applicati
Removing
Removing packages
Resolving dependencies
Removing packages                                                                                                                     uFinished
[root@Sailfish nemo]#
(Pasting here mostly for my own records, since I have to unplug the phone from SSH and take it with me to collect the kids from school.)
Eager to see updates on your progress myself before I try this, pretty sure I've got at least a few of these "offending" packages installed.

(Then I'll got get my kids at school too . . . oh wait, they're across the room sitting in front of homemade desks! Nevermind )

Maybe if I'm lucky my pinephone running SFOS off SD card will be "selected" for version upgrade before daily driver and I can do an almost zero-risk test.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Norway
I tried uninstall but didn't succeed. Started install from Gui and haven't had any problems. Don't understand the warning. I am now on 3.4.0.24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PamNor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PamNor View Post
I tried uninstall but didn't succeed. Started install from Gui and haven't had any problems. Don't understand the warning. I am now on 3.4.0.24.
Did you mean you just ignored the warning? I tried that too but got a "system cannot be updated" error. After a reboot, I am still on 3.4.0.22. Only without Camera And with the list of things the GUI tells me to uninstall now is 15 pages long.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
OK, an update. I ignored the second warning and tried again. This time the update worked and I am on 3.4.0.24.
Camera works, as does playing a random MP3 from my music library, despite removing those packages earlier. Fingers crossed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: