Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by chrget View Post
...I am sick of people telling others that essentially they were too stupid to pick the right product.
I have never said any such thing. The closest I might of come was several months prior to the launch of the N900 when I told a blogger that if, as he claimed, system-wide portrait mode support is the most important feature to his smartphone-loving readers, then it might be best if he used his blogging powers to warn those potential buyers away from the N900. I think that's a fair distance removed from speaking badly of existing owners due to assumptions made regarding their decision to purchase though.

All I asked was for pointers to one or more locations in which Nokia officially promised MMS support was coming. I asked, because I have never seen such a promise myself, despite having followed N900 news closely (including having read every thread in these forums) during the year+ leading up to the N900's launch.

What I had seen was:
  1. statements by Nokia prior to the N900's release that the N900 did not support MMS
  2. posts by bloggers and forum users lamenting the lack of MMS support
  3. posts by bloggers and forum users pointing out that MMS support is a software issue and could be added later
  4. rapid mutation of that thought in the blogosphere and forum echo chambers to "MMS support is a software issue and would be added later"
  5. Nokia reps deliberately avoiding "yes" or "no" answers to questions of future MMS support, instead pointing to studies showing lack of MMS use and to the resources it would take to make MMS happen
  6. eventual confirmation in the fMMS thread that Nokia would not be providing official MMS support for Maemo 5, but would help fMMS improve

So, I appreciate you posting:

I know for a definite fact that at least the german Nokia website had the line "MMS: In Vorbereitung" in the tech specs for the N900 when they started touting it all over the place. I have seen it with my very own eyes.
I just wish archive.org hadn't stopped capturing nokia.de in 2008. I'd like to see what you saw.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Sorry to hop on "me too but no evidence" train but I also distinctly remember MMS and video call as being scheduled for "later".

I don't dismiss the fact that I don't remember my source and therefore it's possible it wasn't Nokia's site -maybe a retailer- still, what's important is that it'll never come, which is kind of bad from a completeness POV. fMMS is far, FAR from usable, I couldn't even get it to work here on Vodafone RO. Network settings maybe. Could be finalized, though, there's nothing keeping it from being fully integrated. I didn't want chunks or images and sounds in my Conversations anyway.

I don't lament the loss of MMS, most if not all carriers have mail or web retrieval of MMSs and all one loses is convenience. Everyone I know has an e-mail or IM account, so there's that. Plus, 90K. What is this, 1997?

IMO MMS is a transitional, born-dead tech anyway.

Yes, it's sour grapes syndrome.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

here is a video i made to show how easy it is. i did get a sms from mate right after mms. was using web cam to record so excuse the quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHvu1XmEzo

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
That's the easy part. My phone refuses to link to the MMS settings from Vodafone RO's page. Network error (BTW, can we get more than that please?)

Edit: Wait, it connected. Now I crashed fMMS. Grrr...

Edit2: Now it doesn't work at all. Oh well, it's beta. Rebooting now ...

Edit 3: It just sits there, saying "resizing image, this might take a while". It's been 3 minutes and it's a 640x480 image. Maybe a local file got borked on the hang? Oh well, at least the settings worked, I have an IP and all.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-03-11 at 23:32.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
That's the easy part. My phone refuses to link to the MMS settings from Vodafone RO's page. Network error (BTW, can we get more than that please?)
are you sure you have the correct APN settings for MMS?

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I have never said any such thing.
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I was implying you did. It was more a general comment to the bazillion threads which I have followed here but so far stayed out of. They tend to follow the pattern of someone saying that the N900 (supposedly or not) was marketed/endorsed as having X, and a group of people jumping on said person telling them that no, they were simply not researching well enough. In the end, they are clubbed down with the 'proof' argument -- which may sound reasonable at the surface, but in the end is used to disqualify the statements made by the initial 'whiner'.

So I admit it was a knee-jerk reaction on my part along the line of 'oh sheesh, not again!'.

I asked, because I have never seen such a promise myself, despite having followed N900 news closely (including having read every thread in these forums) during the year+ leading up to the N900's launch.
That may indeed be the 'problem'. I will happily admit that I have only been a fringe observer of the Maemo scene for some time now, being quite happy with my 770 for several years now. When the N900 was officially announced, I did have a look mostly at a few (reasonably respectable) sources as well as official Nokia channels to form an opinion as to getting one for myself or not.

I followed the unraveling drama about the delays and availability then, and in the end picked one up rather spontaneously on December 1st when I got the chance. And yes, there was quite a bit of disappointment for me. The lines 'What the ...' and 'How could they (not) ...' were on my mind more than once (and sometimes are to this day).

In the end, I realized what must have happened, which is a complete breakdown of communication between development/project management and marketing. The device is an amazing piece of work, a technological masterpiece if you look under the hood. But the 'user experience' (as it is called nowadays) is seriously lacking in several departments if you expect a modern-day high-end smartphone. And yes, Nokia marketing has at least played openly with that misconception, which is my major gripe -- but, I fear, they may have done that because they didn't know any better. Then again, their job is mainly to sell devices. Honi soit qui mal y pense ...

I just wish archive.org hadn't stopped capturing nokia.de in 2008. I'd like to see what you saw.
Yes, I was a bit peeved at that myself when the whole discussion about MMS started and checked there. And I cursed myself that I didn't save a screen shot -- something I tend to do for every eBay offer I placed a winning bid on

Regards,
Chris.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by ndi View Post

Edit: Wait, it connected. Now I crashed fMMS. Grrr...

Edit2: Now it doesn't work at all. Oh well, it's beta. Rebooting now ...

Edit 3: It just sits there, saying "resizing image, this might take a while". It's been 3 minutes and it's a 640x480 image. Maybe a local file got borked on the hang? Oh well, at least the settings worked, I have an IP and all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qHvu1XmEzo

That guy uses fMMS and Vodafone. So it does work.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I'm jumping in two give my two cents with not knowing if this has been discussed yet or not.

I think Nokia is correct in saying MMS is a dead end.

I think in the future MMS will be easier, so that you create an account to who knows maybe Nokias file sharing site, through which you can send stuff. Much easier and able to send more types of attachments through it.

it must be atleast possible to let the fmms app start when a mms is received! The provider will send some kind of notification after wich the phone connects to the internet to get the picture. it must be possible to let the fmms app start on this notification.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Originally Posted by Tizbad2k View Post
Why is MMS so important to you an others? I just dont see the need for it given the integration of push email and other push like services such as sky and google talk. MMS also usually costs significantly more per use than a regular text.

Just wondering....
Google and it's creepware are a privacy nightmare. It's not just main businesses, the German, French and other governments that are getting annoyed at it. They openly want your data and the EU is gearing up to go against them on data retention grounds.

Just look at their facebook alternative, 176 million users by default were given public accounts, no opt out first and then opt in. If it wasn't for the massive amount of people complaining they wouldn't have backed down again and again to make it obvious what you were signing up for.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...n_google_buzz/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...visions_again/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...y_laws_europe/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02...eview_numbers/

You want everything you do in google to be their property, good luck. But a great deal of people don't. I work in IT security and for every web site that lets you share stuff, there is another ten that are stealing your identity. That annoys and worries people who value privacy. If you don't care about that, then fine, don't complain when you see something you regret later in life. Bear in mind most employers now do two things before looking at your CV, type your name into google and then into facebook. You really want that picture of you in a dress, stoned, naked etc to be the first thing your new boss sees? I have seen people threatened and fired based on what some mate shares on a networking site.

For me an MMS is a one off picture someone might send you of something funny, cute that they see then. I am one of the majority that doesn't want to share personal moments with facebook who have also openly and legally said they will take ownership of everything you do on their website.

I don't take anywhere near enough photos to have or the desire to share with flickr and other really rubbish sites that are designed for it. So a one off ability to send messages with photos between friends and relatives is a must have.

And no amount of press hype I read for the N900 has told me MMS isn't supported. This website told me it wasn't. I now have tons of messages from my carrier telling me to visit their server with a password to see a photo becaue this piece of junk can't do anything with it.

MMS isn't a dead end. As long as you have picture phones you will have MMS, afterall the data tariff to upload is far more expensive than one MMS. As is hosting costs (Who pays that in the end?) and of course the whole issue of ownership. And if you read the IT sector reports, the bandwidth of internet on your phone is very quickly approaching the voice bandwidth crossover. One internet using laptop owner with mobile broadband is worth upto 10 - 40 people talking. Can't have both, so who wins? Someone has to be dropped from communicating and phone users are worth more, pay more and therefore your uploading and downloading will be limited, in speed and duration.

Tags
fmms, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mms, rehash