Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Great point ThomasAH!

I was about to say there support matter less, but not if the SOC is closed sourced. And I think the Pro1 is for sure hurting their general sales outside old Psion user wanting another go at the keyboard.

This should have been the first and only device for at least 2 years. Getting everything bug free. then support it for at least 3 yrs. But they are a small company, what yah gonna do.

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rootytooty View Post
Thanks Thomas,
Good information. I don't know if they will refund my money or not. If not I will just have to try to sell it. The Pro1 looks like a more usable device and don't have to open it like the Cosmo.

I have two Gemini one WIfi and one with sim card. If I get the new Pro 1 and like it I might just sell the others.

Thanks,
Bob
Hey Bob,

You mean you're doubtful whether they would refund your pledge for the Astro? Because as I understand it they should, the campaign still lasts 36 days before it's "locked" (which is why I immediately asked for a refund).

So you own both the Gemini (two, even ) and the Cosmo? How do you experience their support? Would you say the devices are finished (both hardware and software wise)? I'm very curious

Originally Posted by xman View Post
Great point ThomasAH!

I was about to say there support matter less, but not if the SOC is closed sourced. And I think the Pro1 is for sure hurting their general sales outside old Psion user wanting another go at the keyboard.
Well yes, from what I understand the Mediatek SoC is closed source, so actual mainline kernel on that phone is dream (like on any other Android device). You would have to use libhybris and therefore rely on closed source/blob drivers, old kernel versions etcetera. It's like trying to make mainline linux run on a Samsung Galaxy S20 (again, as far as I understand ).

Originally Posted by xman View Post
This should have been the first and only device for at least 2 years. Getting everything bug free. then support it for at least 3 yrs. But they are a small company, what yah gonna do.

x
I fully agree! You know what, if they would simply start a new Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaign with the single goal of making Linux run on their devices so that they would become actual pocket pc's with phone functionality, I would back it in a second (given that I would own one of their devices )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The video is not clear on how the mechanism works. There's only one short peek of the rails and it is not very enlightening.
+

Somehow I’m not convinced of that implementation...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
+

Somehow I’m not convinced of that implementation...
Yeah it's for sure not as smooth as the fx Pro1 and seem to be more likely to fail in the long run. But looking forward seeing this in the real world.

I will say I'm happy it exist! And hope the company does more to make their product more approachable to none android people.

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Hi Thomas,
I haven't needed much support. i will say when I have contacted them originally they were really good and helpful, that was on my first Gemini. On the second one they were ok but since I sent my letter to get my money back I have not heard from them yet. So, it was ok at first but now I am still waiting for a reply. Check my bank account and nothing there has been refunded. I will let you know,
Thanks,
Bob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootytooty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Did you rootytooty get your money back? And what are your plans with N900?

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Has anyone here received their Astro Slide yet (maybe a Japanese user)? How is Sailfish doing on it?

The Following User Says Thank You to stefanmohl For This Useful Post: