Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Hey guys,

I am new in this forum and I am happy to be a member of your community now. I am from Germany, so donīt blame me for my mistakes^^

I opened this topic because I wondered a bit about my n900. I want to install some stuff without connecting my phone to the mobil-internet. So I choose the "PC-way" and connected my phone to the pc, because I have a prepaid card and no internet flat, so I searched for another way.

I found lots of interesting programs on this and some other sites and want to download them, no problem, but this files are ".install" files and I recognized that this files are not really instalations files nor really interesting files for me, because I wonīt connected my n900 to the world-wide-web, if it isnīt reaaaaly neccassary!

So I opened the ".install" file with an editor and I found the link to the root
Ok I known that link before as I unloked my phone with new cataloges in the appmanager.

So I opened this link and found lots of jumbled array stuff.
But this only works for software that are categorized in "extras", deval extras." So where can I find programs like "documents-to-go", my browser always says "access denied" for the non-beta, tested stuff ;(.
(link: https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/apps/)

So how it is possible to download this programs without downloading them with the appmanager of the n900?

Furthermore I tested serval methods of instaling .deb files. By the way the "red-pil"-mode doesnīt work for instaling .deb files, why? Always the error "missing a catalog...."
And instaling with X-Terminal works, ok, but not every time. I know the "sudo gainroot" command or "root" but from time to time the programs that I instaled before donīt work, they open and close after a while without any chance to test them or they worked with the half of funtionality. Probabily this bugs are connected to the different error-messanges in the X-Terminal...

And a last question for today , is it possible to get access to the internet over bluetooth with the n900 with a gateway (in this case my pc)?

Thx for your help in advance.

Regards
sCORE

Last edited by sCORE; 2010-01-03 at 11:00.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Plz ppl be so kind and give me some answers...

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by sCORE View Post
Plz ppl be so kind and give me some answers...
If You install a .deb file there might be some dependencies (look under "install" tab under "Details" of that package (in App Manager)), these files can't be downloaded if You're not online...

The N900 is an always online device... So find a wireless network and download...

BTW -> Asking a million questions in one post might not be the best idea... Maybe that's why nobody has answered before now...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-01-03 at 18:34.

Be patient young padawan, it's still the holiday season. You can't really expect instant answers.
Check here. Snoop around 'till you find your .deb. Download and transfer to the n900
On the n900 access the terminal
Type
Code:
sudo gainroot
(you only need to do this once if you do multiple installs without exiting the terminal), then
Code:
dpkg -i <path.to.package>
Voila!
Note that, as it has been said, what you're trying to install might have dependencies (other packages which are needed) that are not installed. They're pretty much your problem
Good luck!

.install files are special files that the N900 will read that automatically add a needed repository to the app manager and possibly download/install a specific application.

It is usually highly recommended to install using a package management system (apt or application manager) because it automatically grabs dependencies. Most software will have dependencies and installing directly from the .deb will not install the dependencies. That is probably why you are saying "sometimes it does not work".. it requires dependencies that you don't have yet.

In that case.. if you do it from the command line.. it will add that deb to the system but it'll be broke - and you'll need to run apt-get -f install to automatically get the needed dependencies, but if the phone is not connected to the internet then you need to one by one get every dependency.

You can find and download .deb files here:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/pool/fremantle/
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-t...ool/fremantle/ (testing)
http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...ool/fremantle/ (experimental!)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I tried to install a file from the Maemo downloads area for OS 2008 because there wasn't a version for the N900 yet, and it did not give me the option of getting a deb file, so it was impossible for me to install it.

I would like to thank the current administration for making it very difficult for me to experiment with my own device. You are doing a great job of protecting me. The only problem is, I don't want protection like that.

Yes, if and when I find the .deb file, I can use the dpkg method to install it. Thanks for making it more trouble, I like to go to as much effort as possible.

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I tried to install a file from the Maemo downloads area for OS 2008 because there wasn't a version for the N900 yet, and it did not give me the option of getting a deb file, so it was impossible for me to install it.

I would like to thank the current administration for making it very difficult for me to experiment with my own device. You are doing a great job of protecting me. The only problem is, I don't want protection like that.

Yes, if and when I find the .deb file, I can use the dpkg method to install it. Thanks for making it more trouble, I like to go to as much effort as possible.
Geeezze.. If You reaaally want to mess with Your device how about removing "fremantle" under Your catalogues (Extras etc.) in the App Manager?

Just remember NOT to complain when You've wrecked Your N900...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post
Geeezze.. If You reaaally want to mess with Your device how about removing "fremantle" under Your catalogues (Extras etc.) in the App Manager?

Just remember NOT to complain when You've wrecked Your N900...
I invite you to go thru my 2000+ posts and point out the threads where I complained about wrecking my N800 and N810. You will find many complaints about fascist administrations or about other things (though you will also find many thanks), but you will also find me saying that I have flashed many times without complaining at all.

All I want to do is install a program using the same method I used with App Manager with the N800 and N810. The reason this was taken away was to protect dumb users. I don't need to be protected and if I have to reflash my N900 that's ok.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I invite you to go thru my 2000+ posts and point out the threads where I complained about wrecking my N800 and N810. You will find many complaints about fascist administrations or about other things (though you will also find many thanks), but you will also find me saying that I have flashed many times without complaining at all.

All I want to do is install a program using the same method I used with App Manager with the N800 and N810. The reason this was taken away was to protect dumb users. I don't need to be protected and if I have to reflash my N900 that's ok.
The problem is the easier it is to break the device the less people will buy it. The vast majority of people are not like us, geneven, they want their **** to "just work".

This is one of the reasons I think the tablets haven't gotten as huge a following as the rest. For the very reasons we like the device (root, configurability) is the very reasons why so many people are on here screaming "OMG I BROKED IT!". If they made this even easier we'd have even more on here saying the same thing .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Why the heck don't you want to connect your device to the internet? Buy one of those cheap WLAN routers and you're set.

Tags
.deb, application, application manager, dependency, dpkg, fremantle, install, install without network, maemo, maemo 5, no internet, no network, red pill