Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
It would be nice to be able to bluetoothly "squirt" an app from your own N900 to someone else's N900. What better way to promote the advantages of open source software FTW.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I've run dpkg-repack on OS2008 when trying to bring Wayfinder Maps to the N900; as has been said - it's pretty trivial. ...

But getting it running is the smallest part of it.
Getting it running is the smallest part of it because ... ?

(Yes, I'm running Diablo, and my assumption/belief is that having it for Diablo would be most useful for the community.)

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Hello,

i have a question regarding the installation over apt-get. A friend of me had installed a game on his device with the apt-get command. I would like to have this app too, but the app is not available anymore over the apt-get command.

We have searched for it with mc commander and found the directory. We have also zipped it to a tar.gz file. But now we dont know, how to send this app to my device.

Now my questions:

1. is it possible the way we did it: to compress the whole directory and decompress it on my device to the same directory and will it work or do i make something wrong then (or is some kind of installation process needed like in windows)

2. where should we copy the compressed file to, to be able to send it via bluetooth (with petrovich)

3. how to install this compressed file? just decompress it in the right folder and thats it or is more work needed?

If anyone with a little bit linux knowledge would answer my 3 questions, it would be sooo great!

P.S. I'm an absolute Linux-noob...

Last edited by Brock; 2010-01-13 at 18:01.

Sounds like you're trying to get the angrybirds deb file, all the other ones are very easily accessible. Not sure if anyone is gonna assist you on that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to t7g For This Useful Post:
Are you trying to steal stuff from the Ovi store?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rotterdam - Netherlands, the
Add the line...
"For educational use!"
I want to know too

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
the main problem for me is that he dont know the correct command to get it and I would like to know how the installation process a.s.o. works at linux...

so can i just copy the directory where the app is to my device or do i need to do more?

Thanks to all of you for any comment!

P.S. i dont want to steal, i want to learn how all this works!

Last edited by Brock; 2010-01-13 at 18:46.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
apt-get grabs the required .deb packaged software form the repository and automatically fetches and installs any dependencies you may lack.

What you would really need to do in order to get some software that is instaled on someone else's N900 is not only tar up or zip up the binary for the application (usually under /usr/bin) but you would need to compress ALL the files originally distributed with the original install's .deb file.

This can include library files in /usr/lib/*, other binaries, optional data files, etc.... It can be anything and without knowing what .deb you are trying to get, we can't be more specific.

Once you have all of these, they would of course need to be unpacked to the same directories on your N900.

You would also need to identify and install any dependencies that you may lack. This is harder then it sounds because if you are missing anything, the only symptom that you'll observe is the game failing to run.

If you're installing from a .deb with dpkg, application manager, or apt-get you will clearly be told what additional packages you need.

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
so what is the app in question then?

As Dr. Drips said, what's the name of the application. There is no means of transmitting applications between N900s (at least not -properly-.)

Tags
.deb, application, deb, pirate, repackage