Notices

The main thing stopping us from just taking a geolocation aware browser and using Google Maps is the constant polling will result in a temporary block from Google Maps. Otherwise geolocation support + Google Maps + constant refreshing + something to vocalize the directions [e.g. gmap to gpx + flite] is pretty darn close.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Well, we shall see if this app uses all that Fremantle has to offer or is just a "pound to fit and paint to match" port.
It wont offer anything of what Fremantle has to offer. I doubt it being hardware accelerated (in the beginning) seeing that Sygic looks exactly the same on every platform is being offered on.
But we have a fully working and somewhat established gps navigation solution available on our devices. Cool!

I'm choosing between the N900 and either HD2 or neoTouch200 WM mobile based systems(sorry). One of the things that held me back in relation to the N900 was the lack of a good GPS app that doesn't require 3G connection. I am very pleased Sygic has released this app, and that it's so soon after the N900 announcement. Excellent. Having read a few reviews on line Sygic seems to function even better than e g Garmin XT in certain regions. Very encouraging.

I always liked Sygic on my N82, hope this version turns out to be just as good. Good to see the N900 getting commercial support.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Nothing can beat Google LIVE traffic update, satellite image layer, street layer, and STREET NAMES announcement.....EVEN TOM TOM don't have street name announce?? That's not good.
It can be very annoying listening the name of all the streets. Voice should be only to give turn by turn navigation.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Nothing can beat Google LIVE traffic update, satellite image layer, street layer, and STREET NAMES announcement.....EVEN TOM TOM don't have street name announce?? That's not good.
Nothing can beat something that will help you out when lost in the middle of no-where with no phone signal.
For most serious GPS nav users, the Google nav is a non-starter for that reason.

Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
I'm choosing between the N900 and either HD2 or neoTouch200 WM mobile based systems(sorry). One of the things that held me back in relation to the N900 was the lack of a good GPS app that doesn't require 3G connection. I am very pleased Sygic has released this app, and that it's so soon after the N900 announcement. Excellent. Having read a few reviews on line Sygic seems to function even better than e g Garmin XT in certain regions. Very encouraging.
Even with Ovi Maps I believe you can download them from Nokia's server and load them onto your device.

http://handphone-solution.blogspot.c...0-without.html

http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...ut_a_network_c

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn