Posts: 3 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2018 @ Manchester, UK
Hi folks

I've registered on Maemo to appeal to any competent developers who use SailfishOS and would be willing to help introduce this OS to the A5.

I've come from XDA and there are (at the moment) a small number of us who are interested in having this OS for our device.

We would very much like this to happen, but none of us are confident enough with either development of the OS or, indeed, Linux!!

I have experienced SailfishOS on the Moto X Play as it was ported and is still relevant for that device. It is pure class and on higher end devices, it can only serve to be a true masterpiece and a further alternative to existing OS options (OEM Android and LineageOS).

If any dev would be willing to take this on, or give me and those interested expert guidance to cook this for the A5, then please do get in touch.

Thank you for reading this and hopefully we can work together soon.

Moozer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moozer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
https://sailfishos.org/develop/hadk/
Thank you for this.

After a quick scan through, I'm still not certain.

Would you say it's straightforward enough for Linux newbies?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moozer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Moozer View Post
Thank you for this.

After a quick scan through, I'm still not certain.

Would you say it's straightforward enough for Linux newbies?
Not for newbies. But, if you have some experience with Android AOSP and porting, yeah, probably not too much difficult.
A5 "should" be possible, as it already have CM12 if iam not wrong.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Not for newbies. But, if you have some experience with Android AOSP and porting, yeah, probably not too much difficult.
A5 "should" be possible, as it already have CM12 if iam not wrong.

Not on A5 2017 - we started on Lineageos 14.1 (now official). Maybe the A5 2016 had CM12

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moozer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Moozer View Post
Not on A5 2017 - we started on Lineageos 14.1 (now official). Maybe the A5 2016 had CM12
Then there is still work to do, 14.1 is probably too new Android version to even consider, and also, Sailfish is based on CM. Allthough with some effort LOS should prabably also be possible to getvto work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
We A5 2017 owners seriously would live to have a sailfish port.
We dont mind in trail and error. But if you people can guide us then we would consider doing some trail and error in our part.
I have free questions -

Does it requires any coding? Or does it requires a knowledge of linux commands ?
I have an extensive knowledge of coding and programming but none of the linux or AOSP building knowledge.
From the guides I have seen around it seems pretty straight forward. U set up a build environment, get dependencies, connect to git, run commands, wait , build and test. But I know there are many small things that wont go as intended. Plus I have read the HADK and it seems a bit intimidating just coz im a newbie to linux.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karan5chaos For This Useful Post:
Besides looking at the HADK documentation @coderus mentioned, I strongly suggest that you hook up with other porters on #sailfishos-porters on freenode (IRC).
The is much expertize, willing to help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by karan5chaos View Post
We A5 2017 owners seriously would live to have a sailfish port.
We dont mind in trail and error. But if you people can guide us then we would consider doing some trail and error in our part.
I have free questions -

Does it requires any coding? Or does it requires a knowledge of linux commands ?
I have an extensive knowledge of coding and programming but none of the linux or AOSP building knowledge.
From the guides I have seen around it seems pretty straight forward. U set up a build environment, get dependencies, connect to git, run commands, wait , build and test. But I know there are many small things that wont go as intended. Plus I have read the HADK and it seems a bit intimidating just coz im a newbie to linux.
Most of it is Linux CLI poking and prodding, it helps greatly if you are familiar with how a Linux system works.

Occasionally you might have to do some programming, but its fairly rare and one of the porter/jolla guys will usually do it for you once they understand what the problem is.

But above all of that is a requirement of patience and a willingness to learn, this is not something you'll be finished with in an afternoon.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Then there is still work to do, 14.1 is probably too new Android version to even consider, and also, Sailfish is based on CM. Allthough with some effort LOS should prabably also be possible to getvto work.
Actually CM is not requirement, for example XperiaX is all based on AOSP and not CM any longer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: