Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by fbnccst View Post
could you write a foolproof way to set up gmail on modest? because i can't seem to be able to have the stock email client to work with gmail
thanks
Read this
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...p+modest+gmail
and that
https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.ph...p+modest+gmail
Found via search box with 'setup modest gmail'.

If it is about configuration (manual setup!) you will also find all info.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I did, and it's speed is really impressive. So, thanks for the tip!
However, there are some features missing to make it actually useful for me.
Yeah, it is not fully featured but enough for my kids or for me to see what is on the sky so we can pull out our little telescope

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Of course! I use it so much that I don't even consider it an app anymore. For me, "terminal" equals "N900". Everything else is just superimposed on it.
How true that is! +1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by fbnccst View Post
could you write a foolproof way to set up gmail on modest? because i can't seem to be able to have the stock email client to work with gmail
thanks
I think peterleinchen wrote everything so now you can try it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
when driving:
- sygic maps (osm maps for backup on Lineage tablet for new construction areas, and/or modRana)
- Maebbled(Pebble Watch)- control music & see first sentence of SMS
- Open Music Player - tunes, skip and volume controlled by Pebble watch, car's aux cable music connected by BH-214 headset clipped to visor so I can answer the phone too
- Panucci - audio books

on foot/bus/train:
- Panucci - audio books
- OMP - music
- Cutetube2 - get new music from youtube (not working for those right now)
- Nokia email, phone, SMS
- BH-214 bt headset

on bicycle:
- HXMtracker - view heart rate(I need to take output and pipe it to the Pebble watch display; someday... someday...)
- Sygic maps
- Open Music Player or Panucci music & audiobooks
- BH-214 bt headset

Flyingnot lately, with what money)
I might stick earbuds in under my headset and play music or take a phone call with the aircraft radio volume way higher to always hear tower/ATC.
Android apps beat anything Maemo has ever had(such a small screen) and a tablet is easier to use in a cockpit strapped to one leg, ipad and apps are actually better but I wont own one unless it was ONLY for flight and otherwise offline.
- (formerly) Flight Computer - compute wind drift

Browsing and video when out I use my Lineage Nexus 7 (flo) tablet bt tethered to my N900 if I think I will need that or use my wife's Lineage +microg one+1 phone. That said I wish I could get those same services and all hardware drivers on a real gnu linux tablet/phone distro. In real life though I do most stuff with an Ubuntu Mate laptop with a big screen, mechanical kb, and trackball if I am in the office.

Last edited by biketool; 2019-01-23 at 12:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Already now I thank you all for the information I have got. I used to be nonstop iPhone user since 3gs to 4s. Nonstop social media photo and video shooting with all kinds of apps with filters and effect making all the time new videos to youtube and facebook and doing my own music to videos/short films with nanostudio combined with garage band and downloading youtube videos making own speech audits and writing writing and watching watching and listening listening and being nonstop connected brain adapted to virtual reality. Changing to N900 was a life saver. I don't think or want to be able to achieve the same situation so not getting everyhing work with a phone is a benefit for me. But from here I have already found many things useful. Thanks to ya all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Maemish,
the photo and video quality is adequate and you can email the photos to yourself.
If you have linux at home just apt install openshot and audacity for a great video and audio edit/splicer. I don't think a N900 could handle these under chrooted debian.
The pwnage the social media companies and Google take from you when they sell your data to everyone is a pretty good motivation to take back your life too. If you want to see how bad it is ask a private investigator or someone with the right kind of LexisNexis account access.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Just because of that I'm away from social media, have paid secure email provider with alias emails, use vpn on my home computer and have a prepaid on my linux phone. Not thinking to be anyway under the radar, just giving less than before.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
At the moment...(year after year it changes subtly )
for the n8x0's and n900's
(and past the obvious "givens" like term, vim etc etc..)
for my n8x0's currently (especially my n800s with extra card storage slots in the leather n800 case)
a ton of varied music on one card, with my library of esoteric ebooks, my portfolio of work and some work in progress, and some devel work , so I can listen to music while reading or working...
a ton of video on another card...my favourite films of all time,
and in the external slot filled with the entire collected works of shakespeare performed, and all the classic operas.
So I just change out the card I need from the slot ...
and the internal slot is a modest 32gb with turbo on it all the bells and whistles and a few other partitions with other interesting alt os's to play with.
SO THAT is my "Shipwrecked on a desert island nokia"
No matter what it always goes with me, with 5 extra batteries and a solio solar charger and batt storage....just in case...not that I am paranoid...
Just a good nxx0 boy scout...

So my given progs for the n800 (and similarly the n810) are lean and functional
- fbreader
-streamtuner
-xmms
-oscp
-milkytracker
-all the best image / photo viewing and rendering progs
-kmplayer is my staple as well as a couple other vid progs

Those are currently the progs I use most at the moment...and for the last year or so with the n8x0

For the n900...
I have recently (this last year) ceased using my n900's as a devoted "daily driver"

And now only use it daily for the following
-stellariium so i can sit out on a hill at night near the house or at work and enjoy using it.
- back and forth every day to work I play the entire playlist from CEU Past Perfect Medieval Radio ...one of the best stations I have ever found.....that I streamtuned and copied. (which is about 12 gb so far..)....for those who like truly ancient music predating the dark ages ...
great site...
-oscp for said tunes
-sunvox
and naturally
-gtkgep ..
I have one of my smaller harps at work sitting in the corner...
So when I get to work...
I play my part mainly as "the Watcher who Watches the Watchers"
I watch everything, everyone, everywhere on over 100 camera (soon to become over 160 with the new additions) views and make sure everyone on sites are safe. That is my primary job as well as thwarting evil doers, preventing crimes from occurring, preventing fires, preventing all kinds of nastiness and assist in Heli- MEDEVAC's once or twice a week..
So it is a pretty cool gig...as exciting as it sounds..yet I am left to my best judgement concerning crises and have not yet failed my superiors in that.
So I am left to my own devices all night...and only see a few humans on my way to work, the person I am relieving, and my relief come the morning and some few people in the morning onn the way back home...
I see every sunset, every sunrise and all the stars in between ...
nap through parts of the day, and wake to enjoy a beer or drink and then back to a nap ...while others work inside during the best time of the day....
It is a surprisingly peaceful and fulfilling gig...
For now.....
for the time being..

For most of my shift (9/10 ths of it ) I sit back in my chair, plug my work harp into my n900, spark up gtkgep, out it to the office sound system ...
and jam every night while watching the cameras...
sometimes work on an illustration or carving design to break the tedium of just playing tunes...
the very odd time listen to audio books of ancient philosophers...
Not too shabby a way to spend a night..

(So yeah...
For a while now...I have been fixated on gtkgep on my n900 when not near one of my home laps running linux with more profound and comprehensive rt progs.)

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2019-01-24 at 22:21.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Hi all, thanks for your help! who knows a good link/website (which you trust) where I could buy N900 Batteries (good and/or cheap) to be delivered in Belgium...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
and assist in Heli- MEDEVAC's once or twice a week..
Nice, I was a standby paramedic for the area air ambulance back before I became my own broken body version of All Might オールマイト.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo 5, nokia n900