Active Topics

Hi,

just a quick one for you - i have not had much luck in searching for this as my searches normally end up finding Personal Dataplan Monitor - a great tool, but not what i'm after.

what i would like to see is which of my apps is chewing through my data, is it possible to dig in a log file or install an app that will tell me data use by each application?

many thanks for your help.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
To my knowledge there is no neatly packaged application that does what you want, however, this being Linux and all, there are an array of complicated tools available to get at the answers... :-) All of which assume you have a fairly good understanding of networking.

To see which processes are actually using the network interfaces, run in an x-term (probably as root)

# lsof -i

This will give you a nicely formatted list that you can then use with tcpdump, wireshark, netstat, and others to build up a picture of your network activity.

If you have convenient access to a desktop machine running Linux, probably I'd be inclined to dump packets from the interface of interest (on the N900) to a file mounted over SMB, NFS, or whatever, and then do my analysis using more comprehensive tools available there.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-08-27 at 06:49.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Bit hard. Maybe this app can come close:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/storageusage/

Thing is that applications what are installed in linux quite often consist from different packages that are extracted across the OS directory tree. Do not ask from me how they spread to those 3-letter directories With dpkg from xterm you probably can check some sizes.

thank you very much, i will have a play with these suggestions and see what i can work out.

i'm a little pleased that you didn't just tell me there is an option under settings to log application data usuage

thanks again

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
actually storage usage app has option to scan packages (from top menu) and it shows how much they take system memory.

(marks in red those that lie on rootfs and green on those that are on opt folder)

Last edited by slender; 2010-08-27 at 08:43.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Depending what "data use" means here, if you mean "bandwidth / traffic use per application", you might want to have a look into this one:

http://thpinfo.com/2010/bwmon/

(We did some research to base that app on, and did not find something that's comparable to what we do - measuring per-application bandwidth without modifying the applications themselves. The bandwidth is calculated out of the time and traffic, so you can measure traffic/data use with it, too.)