I dunno... I think the most interesting part of the video was at 00:36 - the Fanuc CNC control(It's 3 axis, and if those numbers are to be believed, that's one *huge* machine it's controlling).

What I kept seeing throughout the video was the device being slow. Watch it again if you don't believe me: She touches it, and it takes a good second or two to respond. That's SLOW. If that's the concept, I don't want to see what the real device is.

Also, the other thing is that the fonts were all too big, and it didn't seem practical at all - Take the 'rental car' scene for example: The two women stuck the two devices together to get more screen space. Erm... a pinch gesture and some scrolling should have taken care of that in about.. .5 seconds. But instead, you use someone else's device to get more space. *sigh*.

I dunno... I refuse to give up my keyboard, and I don't *want* a toy device. I want a full computer in the palm of my hand, and all that entails. who *cares* if it looks "cool" or blends in?
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
yup, those Fanucs can get big!

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
PERSONALIZED PHONE/COMPUTER

NOKIA should start a personalized store where you can design and construct your own device from the colors to the RAMs. Now that will be a cool thing.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Senator Anthony Wiener is all over the news lately! :P
a) Not Senator

b) Weiner

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
So whether it will be Apple, Microsoft, or Open Source technology that will get us there... I really couldn't care less. Let's just make it happen!
You should care, because only one of those puts capability into YOUR hands, while all the others strive very hard to lock you in a box and take capability away from you.

It'll happen, of this I have no doubt. But I don't want it to happen in such a way that the end result is extremely restrictive and designed in ways centered entirely around what brings in the most money.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
a) Not Senator

b) Weiner
Representative Anthony Weiner, Democrat from New York. Although I made genuine errors, I'm impressed that someone paid attention enough to notice I had mistyped Rep. Anthony Weiner's last name. Also, now I have to wonder if this thread will show up somewhere in a Google search because Anthony Weiner's name is being mentioned repeatedly. heh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Some of us still want buttons. We want the tactile feel of something solid for some uses, something that should not wear out as fast as touchscreens tend to.

Of course, smart cell phone manufacturers will enable a peripheral ecosystem around their devices. Slide-on game controller sleeves for example.
This reminded me of entry scene in Odyssey 2001: A Space Odyssey

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
This reminded me of entry scene in Odyssey 2001: A Space Odyssey
Er... you mean: 2001: A Space Odyssey

No need to be redundant. i.e. Automated Teller Machine (ATM) machine or, the biggest mortal sin of all, Windows Phone 7 phone.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Er... you mean: 2001: A Space Odyssey

No need to be redundant. i.e. Automated Teller Machine (ATM) machine or, the biggest mortal sin of all, Windows Phone 7 phone.
My error, I was typing when I got interrupted... You've seen the result, but please don't fix it for me (ya)

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, UK
The one that always bugs me is when people say "PIN Number"

As for the "concept" phone... pish.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenholler For This Useful Post:

Tags
futurama, speculation