Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Now I got it. Stock keyboars have also dead keys on use, would that be a working solution, although not like iOS or Android? Neither is SailfishOS or Jolla. Of course if you think that your layout is the best solution then I can just take your layout as is and put into rpm.

Edit: I guess dead keys won't make it any faster to type than accented keys with popup do and thus no benefit from those. I do not know.

Last edited by Penguin; 2014-03-10 at 17:23.

Originally Posted by fri View Post
Hi,

here's my version for a catalan layout (copy this file ca.qml in /usr/share/maliit/plugins/com/jolla/layouts/):

http://ubuntuone.com/7Bz8nNQLec0EIfnf7MRGsV
Are those dead key accents supposed work or are those just historical leftovers from spanish keyboard layout? Currently there is no deadkey to make those work.

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
Thank you for the Estonian version. However, I found few issues to be ammended:

1. There should also be letters "š" and "ž" hidden under "s" and "z"
2. Also, it would be good if by pressing "Shift", keys "." and "," turn into "!" and "?" (this we had on the Estonian Nokia N9 keyboard and it was very comfortable to use).

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Now I got it. Stock keyboars have also dead keys on use, would that be a working solution, although not like iOS or Android? Neither is SailfishOS or Jolla. Of course if you think that your layout is the best solution then I can just take your layout as is and put into rpm.

Edit: I guess dead keys won't make it any faster to type than accented keys with popup do and thus no benefit from those. I do not know.
IMO both dead keys and accented keys could be equally good solutions. Now when I think, maybe the dead keys would be even a bit better (never tried it for real things though so I can't say for sure - maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow ).

But I'm not for adding direct keys - there are five of them and if you put them all it's too much and adding just some is not good solution.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Schturman: You could change your keyboard RPM's so that those do not overwrite any system files. You've wrote that those return original files when uninstalled, but that actually is real issue with them if system has been updated meanwhile and rpm uninstall will replace files updated by system update with files from earlier sailfish release.
1. when update will come, I will update my packages with new backup files.

2. I would like to do this, but the problem is I'm not programmer and I dondon't know how to point some files to use for example custom "inputhandler.qml" file... This is a reasone that I just override the original one and restore it on uninstallation...

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
1. when update will come, I will update my packages with new backup files.

2. I would like to do this, but the problem is I'm not programmer and I dondon't know how to point some files to use for example custom "inputhandler.qml" file... This is a reasone that I just override the original one and restore it on uninstallation...
1. That does not solve possible issue when someone uninstalls the keyboard after system update. You are expecting re-installation which might never happen in such case.

2. Study, study and study. Is there any other need for custom InputHandler than arrow keys? Thats not the only file you have changed and currently your keyboard is breaking other keyboard layouts.

I know this might be rare issue but still we should not just select the easiest path but. We should keep in mind that when making these modifications publicly available there will more users downloading and installing these than just people writing and participating here on TMO.

An other thing I just noticed: Where does this https://openrepos.net/content/schtur...w-vkb-4-arrows say it contains English and Russian keyboards too and that it will change those? Is that just a mistake or is it missing description.

I will look this arrow keys issue that has made so many custom keyboard creators to modify InputHandler.qml. For all other files there is already a solution how to avoid overwriting system files. You can find those solutions in use in Korean keyboards, Emoji Keyboard, and in those Croatian and Czech keyboard RPM's I made available recently.

If you want to look inside the rpm without installating it, that can be done with commands
Code:
rpm2cpio package-name.rpm | cpio -idmv
replace the package-name.rpm with your rpm file from which you want to extract the files.

Ok, here we have a solution to arrow keys without altering systems InputHandler.qml.

Same file supports directions up, down, left and right. You can call it place it into you keyboard QML with following code lines:
Code:
CustomArrowKey { direction: "left" }
CustomArrowKey { direction: "up" }
CustomArrowKey { direction: "down" }
CustomArrowKey { direction: "right" }
If default key width is not ok for your needs, you may define property value arrowKeyWidth like this
Code:
CustomArrowKey { direction: "left"; arrowKeyWidth: 100 }
or with property width like all other keys.

Repetition is on by default and can be disabled with repeat property as in any function key.
Code:
CustomArrowKey { direction: "up"; repeat: false }
When used in custom keyboards, please locate the file in such path it won't conflict with files installed from other custom keyboards.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CustomArrowKey.qml.txt (3.4 KB, 97 views)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
Thank you for the Estonian version. However, I found few issues to be ammended:

1. There should also be letters "š" and "ž" hidden under "s" and "z"
Thanks to cstom who originally created the layout. I have now updated those missing characters.

Originally Posted by Silwer View Post
2. Also, it would be good if by pressing "Shift", keys "." and "," turn into "!" and "?" (this we had on the Estonian Nokia N9 keyboard and it was very comfortable to use).
Sorry to say, but I did not implement it yet. Instead I have put that to my todo list. I am trying to get some kind of custom keyboard framework in place and I would not like to maintain same code multiple times in different layouts. Currently those layouts are not in common code space but I am working with it.

Just for notice, result from off the thread discussion and few prototypes was to use both accented keys and dead keys in parallel in Croatian keyboard and new version has been published earlier today.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Penguin,
1. Big thanks for your help.
2. I looked again in to the Emoji vkb and I think I found how to point to my custom files. I need to do some tests to be sure if it will work...