Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I ... during the update this time I forgot to stop crond and it went absolutely crazy, spawning processes in hundreds. Fortunately I was updating via console and following journal when it happened, and was able to repeatedly "killall crond" until I managed to shutdown the main process...
Had I been updating via UI that would not have been possible and device had failed and went to unstable/unbootable state.

I had a similar experience in the past with cron running during an upgrade. To me it looks like an upgrade of dsme can make cron go bananas, probably because of some sort of short clock/time reset.
So I always disable cron before any upgrade. On the OpenRepos page of vixie-cron and Sailcron I added a warning.

P.s. I always upgrade via the cli, maybe it is not an issue using the regular upgrade process (don't know what is active during that fase).

Last edited by ade; 2019-01-10 at 20:02. Reason: replaced mce by dsme

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks juiceme and ade.
I guess it is time for a wiki page what to do before starting an upgrade?
- backup
- revert / unapply all patches
- deinstall CallRecorder
- disable all OpenRepos
- disable crond
- check system partition size for enough free space
- reset hostname back (if manually changed)
- more?

Originally Posted by ade View Post
P.s. I always upgrade via the cli, maybe it is not an issue using the regular upgrade process (don't know what is active during that fase).
I would not rely on that (without a testing device).
I had a huge mess when updating to 3.0.0.8 via CLI. I 'accidentally' updated via CLI and process started. But earlier via GUI it did not start claiming it needs 500MB on rootfs. (JollaC).
But CLI just downloaded everything and started installation. I thought "okay, if it starts let it do...". I folllowed and found an error during some droid package that it needs 18 MB on /. I freed up some space but probably too slow and update was finished/cancelled. Need to say I had to watch kids and did not really bother about the logs.
So I booted and had a mess of 2.2.1.18 and 3.0.0.8 packages, not working mail/calendar/... and not working pkcon/zypper/ssu!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2019-01-10 at 21:39. Reason: added hostname reset

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
Because, as far as I can tell, it has not. I still have to take my TOHOLED off every time I reboot (which is, fortunately, not that often).
Long time no chat. I'll take a look at this.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
i upgraded all my devices to 3.0.1 w/zero troubles. however it not bring nothing import. only bring a beautiful codename "sipoonkorpi" which it's a wonderful park of Finlandia

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2019-01-10 at 14:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ade View Post
P.s. I always upgrade via the cli, maybe it is not an issue using the regular upgrade process
Trust me, it is. Not just upgrade, any reboot.

Originally Posted by kimmoli View Post
Long time no chat. I'll take a look at this.
Thanks, but I am not sure what you can do. Any daemon causes the issue, as discussed above. I guess you could make sure the daemon starts late in the boot process, only after Lipstick has started.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
When has the hostmane changed to "Sailfish"? It used to match whatever you set in Bluetooth settings, but after the update to Sipoonkorpi this has reverted to "Sailfish". (It may have changed before and I simply did not notice.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Trust me, it is. Not just upgrade, any reboot.
OK this is news. (and totally unrelated to the "daemons causing havoc in systemd/mce update" I think, this is some other boogy)
It has been really really long since I used my TOHOLED but I am fairly sure there were no hitches in normal reboots.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
When has the hostmane changed to "Sailfish"? It used to match whatever you set in Bluetooth settings, but after the update to Sipoonkorpi this has reverted to "Sailfish". (It may have changed before and I simply did not notice.)
Hm another thing I have not experienced. As far as I know hostname's always been "Sailfish"

And I am quite sure about that since I have always named my BT label of the deice according to a nice principle, on my various SFOS devices it has been "Juicen Jolla", "Juicen Nexus5", "Juicen XperisX/SFOS" and so on.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Hm another thing I have not experienced. As far as I know hostname's always been "Sailfish"
Afaik, it gets reset after some updates to "Sailfish" since ~2.X.
Schturman did a Patch to change it from settings.
Since i got the patch installed the hostname defined in those settings persists.

/o\ Patch is a crouch discussion incoming. /o\

Last edited by mosen; 2019-01-10 at 14:49. Reason: added Link

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
OK this is news. (and totally unrelated to the "daemons causing havoc in systemd/mce update" I think, this is some other boogy)
It's not that new. You must have not used TOHOLED and TOHKBD2 since at least 2.1.1.

That may be so. My Jolla's hostname has been "Dinghy" literally for years. It is quite possible that I changed it to match the BT setting manually and forgot about that. I never noticed it changing back.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Afaik, it gets reset after some updates to "Sailfish" since ~2.X
That could explain it. It is a bummer, another thing to have to remember

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: