Originally Posted by moddolo View Post
But the problem now is: how I make a startup script with root permission to echo (from 1 to 0) this value of file.. every boot?
You can do it with an init script, or an /etc/network/if-up.d script (should be safer). Bonus points for making it specific to this broken WLAN connection (you probably don't want to disable it on connections where it works as it costs you some TCP throughput). See this thread for an example, though it may be better to use the ICD_CONNECTION_ID variable instead of depending on wireless-tools being installed (here's an example of that).

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
If you have some time, can you please post here the exact steps to work around the problem? As you've written that this modem is popular it would be great to have it documented for other folks running into this issue...
  1. Become root.
  2. Run "echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
This router, on loan for use by Telecom Italia for DSL connection, for some problem on the family debian distros, the connection hangs after a few kb, this is due to a configuration problem on TCP easily remedied with a modification of a file.

Well.. To solve the problem of wireless connectivity problem of N900 with this modem router must run as root (with rootsh application) from the console (X terminal) the following command:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

It's important to do it as root because otherwise the file does not change.

The problem is now automate this fix with a script, otherwise each time you restart the system presents the problem.

I think the best solution is to make a bash script put in /etc/init.d/ and linked in /etc/rc2.d/ to automate it.. but I'm not an expert of maemo OS, I need confirmation of some guru (i'm not sure that rc2.d is the right runlevel).

oh well.. maybe the solution of Ima is great.. I need to try.

Uhm.. I would try /etc/network/if-up.d & if-down.d script for solve this problem.. How I can install wireless-tool ? I don't know the right repository for install it

And I need (I think? It's right?) sudser (repository) to make "echo 0 > /proc/../tcp_window_scaling" script executable by root

Last edited by moddolo; 2009-11-26 at 14:24.

Originally Posted by moddolo View Post
How I can install wireless-tool ? I don't know the right repository for install it
See http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...5#Installation.

And I need (I think? It's right?) sudser (repository) to make "echo 0 > /proc/../tcp_window_scaling" script executable by root
No need for anything special, the ifup/down scripts run as root anyway.

Yeah, but if I want make a script like this I need wireless-tools, (for iwgetid cmd) but.. I have just install it with apt-get @ root .. :P Tomorow I'll see what i should do.

Thanks for help, I'll inform the Italian community on maemo inherent in this issue.

[QUOTE=moddolo;393735]This router, on loan for use by Telecom Italia for DSL connection, for some problem on the family debian distros, the connection hangs after a few kb, this is due to a configuration problem on TCP easily remedied with a modification of a file.

Well.. To solve the problem of wireless connectivity problem of N900 with this modem router must run as root (with rootsh application) from the console (X terminal) the following command:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling

It's important to do it as root because otherwise the file does not change.

I am having the same problem. The N900 work great at my office. but when i am home using the Hong Kong Netvigator provide wifi modem i have the problem. but some how it seem to be fine on web surfing. the main problem is in App manager, it won't update or download at all.

i am new to this N900 world, so here my question,
1st how do i become root?
2nd is how do i type ">" there aren't this on the keyboard?

sorry for my stupid question, thank you in advance for all the help