glad it worked for you. i didn't use red pill mode nor did i manually install anything. but it should, and apparently did, work just the same. cheers.

great advice. i was having the same problem with canola giving me an error at the end of the installation. i was able to install it correctly by

first uninstalling canola
disabling all catalogs except
-Nokia Catalogue
-Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)
-Canola
putting n800 into red pill mode
install avahi-daemon first
then install canola

it installed without an error at the end.

hope that helps!

Originally Posted by j.bobs View Post
great advice. i was having the same problem with canola giving me an error at the end of the installation. i was able to install it correctly by

first uninstalling canola
disabling all catalogs except
-Nokia Catalogue
-Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)
-Canola
putting n800 into red pill mode
install avahi-daemon first
then install canola

it installed without an error at the end.

hope that helps!
I tried that and still avahi-daemon is broken and so is Canola also. Maybe I have to wait next release of Canola, hope that it'll be easier to install. I think this procedure is way too complicate for normal consumer who just want application that works. It's strange that earlier installing Canola was quite easy, one-click installation, what happened with that. Still nothing on Canola website about this installation problem...

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Like timothyd4y mentioned, there's no need to install anything manually. I didn't install avahi-daemon prior to installing Canola. I just disabled all but the above mentioned repositories, enabled red pill mode, hit install and everything installed just fine on it's own.

The Following User Says Thank You to HeebieJeebie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Guys,
I am not the most tech guy around but this seems to be the exact problem I have with Canola. Did the one step install and at the end got a message " unable to install canola" with no other indications of what may have gone wrong. Then Canola runs and I screwed around trying to get it to find MP3s on my MCs, it will not find any media files? I have figured out this "Red Pill Mode" What do I need to do to fix this, remember not so tech guy..:-)
Email me direct if you want darrengengelovemyn800@lovemyn800gmail, you know what to do.. Thanks in advance.....

Brenden, tried this as directed and got "incompatible package" unable to install when I tried to install libcap1.....file being " libcap1_1.10-15maemo0 "
Darren the somewhat nube!

Thanks for everyones input. Its working fine now..
I disabled the 2 librarys as per install instructions, went into Red Pill mode, did single click install.. came out of Red Pill mode, then reboot.... all went fine..

I love my N800...

I tried to follow the instructions but could never find the Canola folder after uninstalling Canola.

I was able to find the canola-config file and deleted that.

After deleting Canola, I disabled all but the three repositories mentioned.

I then installed avahi-daemon by itself.

Installed Canola.

Rebooted the machine.

Opened Canola configuration in MicroB browser.

When I navigate to mmc1 and mmc2 the "connecting" blue bouncing line appears in MicroB and never goes away.

When I was able to add mmc1 and mmc2 but then got an endless Java script error....had to close MicroB to get out of the loop.

Back in Canola I still get "no media found."

Opened GConf-Editor and deleted the collection-folder links to mmc1 and mmc2.

Reopened Canola config and was able to add back mmc1 and mmc2 but still get the never ending connecting....but no java script errors this time.

Back in Canola no media files found.

I'm not sure what might be wrong but I have this advice for the developers of Canola.

1. Dump the html configuration. It would be much better to set the config in a Canola preferences or setup menu from within Canola.

2. Fix the buggy install process. Many people are having problems with not being able to add media folders and not being able to see the media in the folders.

3. Fix the uninstall so that it removes not only the original install files but the directories and config files it creates during the install.

The oakcourt repository appears to be down?

Can someone post the libcap1 and avahi-daemon .deb files so I can hopefully successfully scan for media on my 770

Just wondering timothyd4y, where did you find this canola.db file?
I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks for your help!