So i've been reading around, is it true that the N900 is done? I've loved this phone so much, I've tried to never drop it, and only dropped in 3 times this year.

That was irrelevant , but i love this phone that much. Anyways, how promising is MeeGo vs Maemo5?

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I wouldn't say it's done, it still has a community like no other, it'll live for half a year (possibly more) with Maemo 5.

MeeGo is progressing nicely tbh, was a bit biased about it before

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
It's still the best mobile device on the market, despite Nokia's failings. The appearance of Meego on the horizon only really affects commercial development, which was almost non-existent anyway, due to the small user base.

Let's just enjoy what we have and stop worrying about what is round the corner. I'm more than happy with the decision I made, and I enjoy working with Qt, which bodes well for the future. I looked at the Android development tools, and all I can say is 'ugh', and that's coming from someone who likes Java (we are a rare breed ).

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
There might be PR1.4 to help with Meego compatibility, I hope.

Maemo is not gone .. it could possibly be a parallel linux based mobile OS maintain by this community. and maybe one day a mobile hardware firm might use it on one of their high end phone to bring down cost.. you may never know.. ;-)
As long as you have this great community and Nokia begins to open up their API and code for Maemo.. we have a something to look forward too.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Nope, that was part of what PR1.3 did.

PR1.3 included kernel support for dual booting with Meego (though only intended for developers) and QT4.7 which is what Meego will be using.

What else do you expect them to do?

But as MohammadAG said, the community support will keep Maemo going a while yet. As far as I'm concerned the N900 won't be done until there is something better to replace it with and I haven't seen anything I think is better yet.

Last edited by retsaw; 2010-12-11 at 22:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
it alreadcy is meego compatible both are using qt/qtquick/qtmobility.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ india
i would like to say tha i had nokia 5800 before this one. rumours were that it would not further updates but nokia still updating this old phone.
compare to that N900 is much newer and has great potential to get further updates. cheers for n900

Originally Posted by abhirajsoni View Post
i would like to say tha i had nokia 5800 before this one. rumours were that it would not further updates but nokia still updating this old phone.
compare to that N900 is much newer and has great potential to get further updates. cheers for n900
The thing is that your Nokia 5800 is not using maemo, it is using Symbian, and Symbian is updating very more often because Nokia still believe that Symbian is rock solid for bussines phones for now and even for the future. On the other hand, Nokia do NOT think that Maemo is the future, and the present is not very clear.. If Nokia believed that Maemo is the future, then MeeGo have no point.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JorgeFX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ india
Originally Posted by JorgeFX View Post
The thing is that your Nokia 5800 is not using maemo, it is using Symbian, and Symbian is updating very more often because Nokia still believe that Symbian is rock solid for bussines phones for now and even for the future. On the other hand, Nokia do NOT think that Maemo is the future, and the present is not very clear.. If Nokia believed that Maemo is the future, then MeeGo have no point.
thats not fair nokia. you've done wrong with your great phone

The Following User Says Thank You to abhirajsoni For This Useful Post: