Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
This is what has always motivated me to question why the hell single sign-on across maemo.org sites has not been initiated.
It has, and there's been several discussions of the work and progress on that project here in the past. The move to new, faster servers has been said to make the work slightly easier, though incompatibilities between the various servers involved still present numerous challenges.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
It has, and there's been several discussions of the work and progress on that project here in the past. The move to new, faster servers has been said to make the work slightly easier, though incompatibilities between the various servers involved still present numerous challenges.
Hopefully then the "serious guys" at the Genesis of MeeGo will understand this need too. It would also be why I would resist any merger of membership benefits with out some kind of preventative medicine first. But I guess that last bit would be best for discussion in another thread.

Dude, I don't envy your job as I can image the tasks it must entail. I do thank you and the others for doing it though.
Cheers.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Hopefully then the "serious guys" at the Genesis of MeeGo will understand this need too.
From what I've seen, everyone appears to. A common thread throughout each planning discussion I've seen has been "let's take this opportunity to not repeat maemo.org's multiple login mess". The fact that the MeeGo wiki requires an irritatingly maemo.org-like account activation dance* has only helped to make the importance of the issue clear in the minds of both the Moblin and maemo.org "sides".

Reggie, for instance, is already testing different methods and add-ons for integrating vBulletin accounts with MeeGo's login system. The use of vBulletin hasn't been absolutely decided yet, but he's testing all the same. This is commendable, as it will allow the community to take the level of possible vBulletin integration, whatever it winds up being, into account as we work toward a decision on forum software.

* The people who set up the "we need something in place for the big announcement" MeeGo site have already indicated their displeasure with the complications involved in getting access to the wiki, and they appear to be looking for fixes.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
There must be some community discussion in every case. I think we can agree that:

Developer A bypasses the QA system to make money faster is bad.
Developer B bypasses the QA system to steal passwords is much worse.
Developer C bypasses the QA system to brick devices is even worse.
Actually, I consider B to be much worse than C, since I can recover from C by reflashing and the damage is contained to the data on the device. In case B the malicious developer could do unlimited damage until the problem is discovered and the passwords changed.

Do they all get the same announcement "Developer bypassed the QA system and software has been removed."?

Or do Developers B and C get a more detailed announcement? So that the community is aware they were acting in a very anti-social manner?
There are various degrees of severity. Bypassing the QA system is one thing, to be dealt with by the community however we decide.

Stealing passwords or intentionally bricking devices however is a clear-cut criminal matter and law encforcement should be involved.

B & C should get a more detailed announcement to at least explain to affected users the repercussions of installing the affected software and how to recover if possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
- announce resolution publicly
- grab torches and pitchforks for day or two
- put away torches and pitchforks and move on
I see a hole where there are a dozen mammoths hiding between those two french lines.... how much have you followed n900 delayed, firmware released, maemo funeral etc threads?

e: corrected the quote
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-02-20 at 08:35.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm not focusing on problems, just solutions... admittedly imperfect ones at that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well, in my opinion, if you're going to screw up, at least give it 100% effort.

That advice was towards Texrat and not the creep that jerked everyone.

Last edited by Addison; 2010-02-20 at 08:48.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Use this thread to discuss how this issue occurred, how we should handle it in the future (because we will have to go there again), summarise what we can learn from it. Use it for bashing again and it will be locked.
Could we agree at least to rename the thread so SIO2's name is removed? I guess that'd be a nice peace-pipe re-start.

The Following User Says Thank You to tomster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
I really don't see why we should. There's nothing unfair or misleading in this thread, they did actually do what they were accused of. Why would you want to hide that?

Edit: On reflection, that doesn't sound quite the way it was intended. What I mean is that what happened, happened - both the original abuse, and the various responses to it. This thread is an important record of a real event, and one that's likely to inform decisions about how things are done in future. A record like that shouldn't be tampered with just because the events it records make some people uncomfortable.

Last edited by ewan; 2010-02-20 at 10:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
While i agree with that, and gave basically the same response when questioned regarding the statement i made when unsticking the SiO2 thread, it doesn't help the conversation here continue in its new course. I would suggest breaking off the discussion of what to do now etc. into a new thread so random people don't keep picking it up from the beginning and running with it, one way or another. In other words, it's in the past: let's focus on the future.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post: