Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
[QUOTE=sulu;1552497]That would be quite a bummer, since the Mini doesn't seem to have HDMI. [1]
> What's Purisms take on that?

On NXP page:
"
This page contains information on a preproduction product. Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice. "

> What do you think of the Dragonbox Pyra in comparison to the Librem 5?

First of I ever heard of that one and that itself should say something... Also you compare apples with oranges

"Do you know what happened to the Librem 11 detachable? It's been announced for how long now? 2 years?"

I don't now I am not working on puri.sm only saying that there are many who has failed simply because the bigger companies eating them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by one_with_linux View Post
Can we even make a compatibility layer to run sailfish apps on GNU/Linux? (No proprietary software in a chroot)
They are GNU/Linux. The problem is 1. Silica is proprietary (although you aren't technically forced to use it to create a Sailfish application if you don't want to) and 2. the architectures of the prebuilt applications don't match those of 99,999% of regular computers, so you wouldn't be able to run them either way.

Then, 3. why would you want to do so in the first place? The only 'killer app' I can think of that's missing on all other platforms and on desktop GNU/Linux is Pure Maps, but as far as I know, it isn't optimised for usage on anything other than a mobile device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That would be quite a bummer, since the Mini doesn't seem to have HDMI. [1]
> What's Purisms take on that?
On NXP page:
"
This page contains information on a preproduction product. Specifications and information herein are subject to change without notice. "
That doesn't mean that HDMI will eventually be included.
It's the only official document about the Mini I currently know and it says there's no HDMI.

> What do you think of the Dragonbox Pyra in comparison to the Librem 5?

First of I ever heard of that one and that itself should say something... Also you compare apples with oranges
What should that say?

As for apples and oranges:
Both devices are supposed to run GNU/Linux with a mainline kernel (e.g. Debian compatible), and have a GSM modem.
Plus, both have a hardware keyboard (Pyra) or at least I believe there is a reasonably realistic prospect of getting one (Librem 5 [1]).
Those are three very important criteria for me to finally replace my N900.
So if I finally get some fresh fruits after almost a decade of waiting, I certainly won't complain, that it's not all apples.

"Do you know what happened to the Librem 11 detachable? It's been announced for how long now? 2 years?"

I don't now I am not working on puri.sm
My bad! I was under the impression that you're affiliated to Purism in one way or another.

[1] https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100566

Last edited by sulu; 2019-01-18 at 06:58. Reason: fixed tags

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Then, 3. why would you want to do so in the first place? The only 'killer app' I can think of that's missing on all other platforms and on desktop GNU/Linux is Pure Maps, but as far as I know, it isn't optimised for usage on anything other than a mobile device.
There is a qtquickcontrols flatpak version of Pure Maps, so you can argue that its not really 'missing'

although as you say, its not really optimised for desktop usage

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I suppose most of the Maemo 5 FOSS library could be ported with up to date libs at least as a stopgap to get the app repositories populated with QT stuff designed for mobile use.
That would for example mean stuff like modrana for nav and well developed apps for just about every other category.
I am not sure how difficult FOSS android apps you find on f-Droid would be to port over to real gnu-linux, that repo is enough to do almost everything on my non-Google LineageOS tablet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
There is a qtquickcontrols flatpak version of Pure Maps, so you can argue that its not really 'missing'

no, not yet. will get to that optimization at some point hopefully. there is still lots of issues open regarding mobile.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
no, not yet. will get to that optimization at some point hopefully. there is still lots of issues open regarding mobile.
Cool! Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Linux gamer talks about puri.sm new shop thingy:
(He is a little to much of a fanboy but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-gxmB90S20

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-01-23 at 11:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That doesn't mean that HDMI will eventually be included.
It's the only official document about the Mini I currently know and it says there's no HDMI.
What I mean is the documentation at NXP site should be taken with a big grain of salt since they probably not decided yet.

I would not be surprised if the iMX8 mini actually use same core as the big one but they just turn off some of the functionality?

However some said to me they will use USB3 for display? Not sure how and when this was posted. I always has thought as you that it will have micro HDMI contact but...

I am not sure what you mean about hw keyboard? AFAIK the librem5 will not have hwkeyboard?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: