Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Thanks Iliaden,

Downloaded, we will check it .

BR

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
iliaden , you can just totally disable the metalayer-crawler , i did and general performance is ALOT better

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Hague, The Netherlands
Hi, I am sorry if this is off topic a little, but how do I get the media scanner to recognize .flv videos (I have some Youtube videos downloaded from before the Youtube plugin, which I would like to be able to view through Canola).

Thanks in advance
Patrick

Nif : we are going to add support on the next release (probably ) it's just a matter of adding one string to the scanner configs if I'm not mistaken.

But don't worry as we are adding the options to choose your downloads folder it will be also already scanned for the flv files.

Br

Marcelo

Hi handful,

during the test of beta5 I found some song (a lot really) that were not found by Canola. You then asked me to send the to you. What mailaddress should I mail them to?

my emaill is in gmail : handful

did you test on beta7 and still not finding it?

Marcelo

N800, OS2007, latest stable release

Concentrating on YT plugin

- had problems with libdownloadmanager0*, lightmediascanner0-id3lib, after some googling solved
- after two-three clips whole tablet crashes (not always reproducible but happened three times after one hour of using)
- why you rescale videos to panoramic proportions? most videos are in classic 4:3, look ugly and only adds CPU problems
- sometimes very long delay between click on video and visible start of buffering without any feedback to the user
- in grey theme buffering slider is almost invisible
- wrong calculation of video length, last few seconds are clipped; for example Chris de Burgh Don't pay the ferryman uploaded by Starlord1999 is 3:20 but Canola reports 3:13 and plays up to ca 3:17 with funny effects for right side counter
- no way to jump in video (eg from 53rd sec to 1:43)?

Irritating things but this is really first non-sucking YT interface

Keep up good work!

@vvaz : the crash was due to what? can you run with -vv on xterm try crashing it again to see if it is the "out of memory" problem ?

2) please, read the threads ) we do not scale, it's a bug on embedded mplayer. We already fixed (on mplayer) but mplayer didn't released the new version with this fix. The only other way to fix it is too much of a hack (start mplayer, find the proportion, close mplayer and then restart it again with the right proportion).

3) We are working on improving that, but again sometimes is beyond us, I can assure you that my work is this, to provide a nice user experience, and I'm REALLY into details, and when they are possible to implement we do it asap, but in this case, we need to ask mplayer to open, start fetching the file, and seems that the cpu goes to right before the loading sign appears. We are always looking for this small things and there are already a lot to fix, but the best solution is to have a more "controlled" media engine, mplayer is too independent from us. That's why we are experimenting with lib xine, because has the same (probably) possible performance as mplayer and more control for the application embedding it.

4) nice comment, we will see what we can do (actually to have some kind of outline for clearer themes )

5) This is also completely on mplayer, we do what we can to help the project.

4) Seek (or jump) is REALLY messy on the FLV support of mplayer. you can take a look on the page of the youtube browser application for maemo :
"We need help with seek" so again, it's beyond our control in current mplayer.

5) I can guarantee that they irritate me even more because I have been using canola since way before it goes plublic and everything that I complain comes from the fact that we are independent from the render engine, and it's not easy to make one (actually for us would be almost impossible) and we are at least not stalled, praying for a solution, we are actually here with some xine developer + one of our guys doing a study to see the viability of having this.

Thanks for the nice and detailed comments!

Marcelo

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Marcelo: I'm sure that has been suggested but I'll say it anyways, Album Art should be a viewing mode, not a separate method of viewing music. So, if I want to see Artists, Albums, Genres, etc., I should have a choice of viewing by text or album art.

@handful

Well, since whole tablet is rebooting after crash I cannot produce any logs. I managed to crash it once more - happened when some other apps were opened, web browser, fbreader, spend-it. Probably this out-of-memory problem.

Grey theme is very good, only this buffering slider is problem.

Never did any regular tests (only ps output) but Kaffeine (http://kaffeine.kde.org) - heavy duty GUI KDE media player based on xine was using less memory than mplayer when viewing the same DVD.

One more problem: started Canola without net connection, Search YT, "cannot locate server". Canola couldn't force tablet to connect on its own. Minimize app, connect to net manually, return to Canola, repeat search, still cannot find server. Had to restart Canola to detect net connection.