When i connect the jolla, all these usb listings and recovery listings keep popping up under network devices

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
That might be because of you are using a MAC... unfortunatey I don't know much of those.

Now as I tried it, I was wrong earlier when I told you thet there's no DHCPD in Jolla, indeed the device gave me IP addtess 10.42.66.80/8 when I connected it in recovery mode.

I tried pinging it, and it resdponds:
juice@osiris:~$ ping 10.42.66.66
PING 10.42.66.66 (10.42.66.66) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.42.66.66: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.598 ms
64 bytes from 10.42.66.66: icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.295 ms
^C
--- 10.42.66.66 ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.295/0.446/0.598/0.152 ms

Then I just telnet into it and get the recovery prompt:
juice@osiris:~$ telnet 10.42.66.66

----------------------------
Jolla Recovery v0.2
-----------------------------
Welcome to the recovery tool!
The available options are:
1) Reset phone to factory settings
2) Reboot phone
3) Bootloader unlock [Current state: locked]
4) Shell
5) Try btrfs recovery if your device is in bootloop
6) Exit
Type the number of the desired action and press [ENTER]:

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
I know this will sound like a snarky TMO question, but I'm serious and not trying to troll you (honest!): what is attractive about MMS in 2014? Is it useful when you don't have data? Or what?
Its the use case thats attractive. I have a young daughter and elderly parents that don't have smartphones or data and always use PAYG sim plans rather than a monthly contract.

I like to have the ability to send pictures of my daughter to my parents.

I (being the geek in family) completely understand their are better alternatives to MMS in 2014, but none of the alternatives fit my use case.

And I can't think of another phone that doesn't support MMS.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nbedford For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Think this has already been posted, nonetheless it'll be of interest to folks who haven't seen it, esp. those who don't have a Jolla:
Hands on with Sailfish OS 1.0 (1.0.4.20) After The Release

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Exactly.

Different things are important for dofferent people.
For example, @shallimus is worrying about the calendar sync support, which is something I could not care less, I hardly use the calendar in my device at all, except for checking which is the current date. (no sync needed there)

On the other hand, I have froiendas that regularily send me MMS'es, and I'd like to see them without logging on to my provider's MMS gateway page which is pretty tedious procedure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
in MWC 2014, there is ambience setting, which is missing in 1.0420
Also 4G (LTE) was possible with MWC 2014 devices.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Not a single note on alien dalvik improvements. Installing paid apps still crashes play. Lets hope the tracker indexing problem at startup is gone.

couldn't care less about mms tho, stopped using it years ago.

Device is buttery smooth now. Battery tests to follow I guess. Thanks Jolla, you guys are awesome. Keep it up!

Did anyone else have adblock installed in the sailfish browser? At least for me, adblock doesn't seem to work after the update. And in about:addons I can't navigate at all.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Not a single note on alien dalvik improvements.
In the video I linked above the reviewer claims that AD apps seem much smoother, he opens about 3 or 4 & demos them very briefly.
But yes if it's not officially noted in the release notes, then I guess one could assume he's just imagining things...

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have not encountered that kind of behaviour, altough I have used the "send-dtmf-coded-numbers" with several different companies automated phone services.

Does your touchscreen feel otherwice "too sensitive" or something? It could be caused by HW failure of course, or by something you have installed on the device?
I will try this again on some other place, being less stressed out.

The keyboard has never failed on me in that way before when it comes to writing sms or mails or elsewhere so it is indeed strange.

I even tried to be extremely careful with my finger just bouncing it very quickly but STILL it generated double numbers.

Can sweat or dirt or fat on the fingers be the cause for such behaviour? I haven't installed any weirdnesses as far as I know, so I can tell something was going on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"