Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@pichlo - not a good sign if it gets warm. Maybe trackers gone mad? Check if it gets any suspend, sounds like its not. You could use mcetools, `cat /d/suspend_stats` and system monitors from openrepos

PS: cannot really compare with earlier releases, but on my current device I would more suspect adaptation first than 3.2 in particular

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I got version 3.2.0.14 on my phone now, and gotbproblems with installing patches as many are locked to 3.2.0.12; anyone else experiencing that?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Enable Developer Mode in Patchmanager to install the patches.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'll plot what it looks like this evening if I can spare the time.
Okay, I was a bit optimistic there so it took a couple of days before I got to the bottom of this.

And surprisingly; looking at my data it seems that @pichlo is not completely out of the charts when he claims that v3.2.0.x would be more of a power-hog than previous releases.

This took me completely by surprise since it does not feel like that at all to me... but data doesn't lie.

Now, some grains of salt. The device in question is an XperiaX and my use patterns might have changed a bit during the months the data was gathered. YMMV.

So here's the charts since few last releases;

v3.0.2.8

v3.0.3.9

v3.1.0.11

v3.2.0.12

Every morning the charge starts from 100% and diminishes during the day, the different lines show different days.
(I just noticed that there are two "bumps" in the v3.1.0.11 chart on two lines, seems I put the device in charger for some time during those events.)

Charts are plotted on same normalized axis, the x runs from 0 to 200 minutes (33 hours) as power status is saved every 10 minutes.

Here are the data files for your covenience;
chartdata_v3.0.2.8.csv
chartdata_v3.0.3.9.csv
chartdata_v3.1.0.11.csv
chartdata_v3.2.0.12.csv

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
For me battery life got much better on my XperiaX (better than ever) On Jolla1 I didn't recognize any difference. On the Pro1... well that's a different story
For me the same story with Xperia X Compact; better battery life than ever. I've been at over 50% left two times in the beginning of the fifth day from the previous charging.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Data itself is irrefutable.

On my XperiaX the batterylife has shortened considerably over time; if you check the 4 charts above and compare it to what the decay profile looked on v2.2.0.29 on June 2018 the trend is clear.

Again I stress that there are also other factors to consider in addition of the SFOS version changes; it might be that my usage patterns have changed over time or the battery of the device itself might be getting old.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thank you for your feedback, juiceme and others. It is entirely possible that my battery is on the blink, considering especially how hot it gets under the pillow. But that would be a third battery since I got the phone in 2015. And it would also be a curious coincidence.

I have installed System Monitor although I am not sure how useful it is going to be since I do not have historical data to compare against. As per rinigus' suggestion, I have checked the suspend stats but do not really understand what they tell me:

Code:
Using username "nemo".
nemo@192.168.2.15's password:
Last login: Thu Nov 28 10:04:43 2019
,---
| Sailfish OS 3.2.0.12 (Torronsuo)
'---
[nemo@Dinghy ~]$ cat /d/suspend_stats
success: 7756
fail: 994
failed_freeze: 480
failed_prepare: 0
failed_suspend: 472
failed_suspend_late: 0
failed_suspend_noirq: 40
failed_resume: 0
failed_resume_early: 0
failed_resume_noirq: 0
failures:
  last_failed_dev:      alarm
                        wcnss_wlan.0
  last_failed_errno:    -16
  last_failed_step:     suspend
                        freeze
[nemo@Dinghy ~]$ uptime
 10:52:40 up 11 days, 12:43,  1 user,  load average: 0.30, 0.48, 0.60
[nemo@Dinghy ~]$

Last edited by pichlo; 2019-11-28 at 15:06. Reason: Grammar

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@pichlo: that looks decent. Namely, you can see that the number of successful attempts to bring device to sleep is large and failed attempts is relatively low. I had issues with early XZ2 version where "fail" >> "success" (not anymore, now its OK).

Now when we know that it does go to sleep, question is for how long.

For that, check out sleep stats. If you have System Monitor, I presume that you use its fork - https://openrepos.net/content/ade/system-monitor-fork . The fork should have sleep graph, missing in the original version. Just check what's a usual % of sleep while device is not touched for some time (10-20 min) and NOT on charger. Normally, you would expect 90% sleep.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Looks OK, as fat as I can tell:

Name:  Screenshot_20191128_001.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  19.6 KB

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Funny Typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os