Active Topics

I'm in the UK and I'm currently using a Sony d750i to connect my N800 to the internet. 2G is a bit slow so I'm thinking about getting a 3G capable phone (The Sony W800i).

I don't know much about phones and 3G so I thought I'd ask some clueless questions.

1. Will a 3G phone work fine in a 2G only area?
2. Will I need to change anything in the way I connect with the N800 to use 3G speeds?
3. If I move from 3G to 2G (Or the other way around) while using the internet will the speed change happen automatically or will I need to reconnect?

Thanks.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The W800i isn't a 3G capable phone I don't think, I had a hacked K750/W800i conversion and download speed was standard.

3G just means 3rd Generation, meaning a technology which involves higher badwidth and data transfer speed as apposed to standard wifi or 802.11 networks.

Check out the Wiki on 3G for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

The best type of phones to use with N800 I found were Nokias :S
I have the Nokia N95 and it works even better than my home network connection I find

If Nokia release another new firmware that will update flash to version 9 then check out sites like TV Links where you can see how data transfer improves while watching flv videos.

I'm wanting to go from the 56kbps gprs speed I'm on now to the 384kbps I've read I can get.

I'm really confused now. Could anyone advise me what I need?

According to here
http://developer.sonyericsson.com/si...800/p_k800.jsp

the K800i supports umts. I thought that's all I needed for the 384kbs data rate via a DUN connection?

Ah. Just noticed my mistake. I actually meant to type the k800i instead of the w800i. Sorry for the confusion.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
1. Will a 3G phone work fine in a 2G only area?
Yes, it will fall back from 3G to 2G (GSM). It should do this seamlessly, so that as you move in and out of a 3G area the phone will drop back to 2G/GSM then use a 3G connection again once it becomes available, all without dropping the call.

2. Will I need to change anything in the way I connect with the N800 to use 3G speeds?
No, this is the beauty of the Bluetooth data connection - the N800 doesn't care about the type of connection your phone is establishing!

3. If I move from 3G to 2G (Or the other way around) while using the internet will the speed change happen automatically or will I need to reconnect?
Should be automatic, same as with a voice call.