Hi all,

I'm still out here learning slowly... Trying to make my 810 my work travel computer...need light text editing capacity with Word docs, good e-mail, and internet. Need e-mail and documents to be integrated (i.e. opening and attachment, adding attachments needs to be easy).

Before I decide to load debian on my system I'm still trying out just working with documents and e-mail through Google.

I need a folding keyboard. I have an 810. Which iGo model do I buy? Is there another good quality folding or travel keyboard I should consider?

Secondly. I am not sophisticated in the technical side of things but I've read that Google Gear would allow me to access and work on Google docs offline. I need this option. Did I understand correectly about Google gear?

Your responses - rendered in simple language for the technologically mediocre - are welcome.

I use mine in a similar way and I have found that Clawsmail is great for handling email and adding/receiving attachments. Abiword is great for documents and supports the .doc format. Use Gnumeric for excel stuff.

All of these things can be done within the standard OS, if you find that it isn't enough then I would move on to Open Office in Debian.

Why the iGo Keyboard? Is the slide out one just too small? I have fingers like sausages but I am getting pretty fast on it. Most of my document work is reading rather than writing.

Regarding keyboard...yes, I just need to go faster...ability to take notes, respond quickly...I just can't really move quickly enough with the slide out keyboard on documents.

I find the "guess the word" function on the bottom of the screen a blessing and a curse...

I'll look into Clawsmail and Abiword as intermediate steps...thanks.

Don't forget Gnumeric!

the igo stowaway ultraslim bluetooth keyboard pairs and works very well with the n800/n810, and folds nicely

The Following User Says Thank You to bigr3dd0g For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rassilon7 View Post
Don't forget Gnumeric!
Rassilon, thanks for your help on both my posts here.

I've moved images, documents and music (I don't have a lot) to the external card.

I've added abiword from the maemo site...nice program. Besides this I have xournal and skype a nd a couple other small things.

Clawsmail looks large...if I try to add it and gnumeric, I'm wondering if I will run out of memory. I have no plans to use the wayfinder map function on the 810, so that might one place to find space. And I haven't opted to check the extend virtual memory box yet in the memory<control panel...

How much space on your 810 do these 3 programs use?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
The application manager will tell you how much memory is required to install any package. I doubt you'll have any problem fitting those on your N810. You can gaain room in that first 256kb by moving data files like maps and video to the internal or an externaal memory card. By default everything goes there and it doesn't need to.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Okay, yes I see, lots of room...and I moved the maps data to the external.

Everything has installed smoothly except for Claws Mail which cannot because of the missing libhildonfn2 file.

This is I gather a problem more difficult to solve or no?

Many thanks for continued input on these basic questions.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I sometimes find http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php a useful source for finding packages but it was no help in this case. I suggest you install "sudser" with the Application Manager. This makes the "sudo" command available on the command line. You could then try "sudo apt-get install libhildonfn2".
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Okay, yes I see, lots of room...and I moved the maps data to the external.

Everything has installed smoothly except for Claws Mail which cannot because of the missing libhildonfn2 file.

This is I gather a problem more difficult to solve or no?

Many thanks for continued input on these basic questions.
There is no libhildonfn2 package, but libhildomfm2 does exist.

Could you post the log of application manager when trying to install claws-mai. Alternatively you could post the output of sudo apt-get install claws-mail