Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Florida
I am not familiar with the software to use to decompress a tar.gz file. I found a financial calculator in this format, but I failed miserably at installing it. I have a p7zip which decompressed it, but now I can't get x-term to install it. It doesn't recognize the commands. I have a n800 running os2008 and I am frustrated.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Command line,

tar -xzvf whatever.tar.gz

If that doesn't work,
gunzip (or unzip, I can't remember and my nokia is somewhere between here and Ireland) whatever.tar.gz, then tar -xvf whatever.tar

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

I have the files decompressed. I try to use the make and install commands and the osso/xterm program says it doesn't recognize the commands. Is there another program I can use to get this file to install? Is there another program in xterm I could use to install?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
try going into red pill and searching the repo list for gcc or a compiler. by default, there is no compiler installed on the devices.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Ok, how about this? How much would one charge to turn this program into something that this machine can read? Just to click and install.

I have been reading about compilers and other programs and I don't know enough to make it work. E-mail me. I should be listed.

Thank you for your time and effort, but this is over my head.

Originally Posted by trimad View Post
Ok, how about this? How much would one charge to turn this program into something that this machine can read? Just to click and install.
Where's the .tar.gz file?

At the very least it'll need to be decompressed, compiled, and packaged for the tablet.

The compiling part ("make", as you posted above) can't be easily done on the tablet (you wouldn't want to anyway, it takes a good bit of processing power / memory).

I was not looking to install a full version of Linux on my computer, but it seems if I want more than the basics I will have no choice. I was hoping the n800 would have more programs to install. I gave up my palm, but I should have kept it for now until the n800 caught up the times.

I am going to install Debian on my comp to facilitate this undertaking of monumental proportions.(drama) I am going to buy some books and find a way to get this n800 to install what I need.

Thanks for your help. If anyone is still interested in converting that file (I will provide link when asked for) so that the n800 will readily install it, just let me know your fee.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
To use a ' tar.gz 'file first you have to download it to a location on the N800 where it can be easily found later on ( using the Xterm). Now you have to go and open the Xterm and sign in as a the 'root' user.

To become the root user you need to look up to steps required to become root on a Nokia N800. You will find them at maemo website. Once you are signed in as the root user, maneuver to the location where you downloaded the ' financial calculator ' file. Make sure that you have the necessary ' permissions ' to manipulate this file.

From there, you will have to untar this File. From my meager understanding the command to untar a file is something like " tar -xvzf ( the tar.gz Filename here, without the braces ) -C ".

I think this should do the trick.

thanks

Last edited by Arjun; 2008-01-06 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arjun For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by trimad View Post
I am not familiar with the software to use to decompress a tar.gz file. I found a financial calculator in this format, but I failed miserably at installing it.
Unless this is already ported to the IT it may not be what you're looking for, for many reasons (do you have a scratchbox cross-compiling environment installed on your desktop computer, is the software written for GTK+ in the first place, etc. etc.)
If you tell us which calculator this is we may be able to tell you more.

I will find the program and post it. I really don't know about the enviroment that you are talking about. I know nothing of ports. I fooled with Mandrake a long time ago, but I need to educate myself on this machine. I am currently at work so I will post it when I get home. The program is called gcalactools.