Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Thanks, it is just my ignorance. The Chinese was for the production, i guess.
Will correct my previous post.
Also, myriads core business is automotive and embedded devices.
So from market pov, alien dalvik for mobile phones is only a side project for them since many years. Explaining maybe why they are not so keen to "upgrade" to newer engine than kitkat unless paid for by a demanding customer?
Making the importance of supporting Anbox within this community even more important btw.

On Topic sony and bootloader.
They kind of invite you to unlock to participate in "sony open device program" because "Openness is important to Sony" but do not make an exception of any kind when it comes to warranty. the website explicitly states:
Voiding the warranty
If you unlock the boot loader, you may void the warranty of your device and/or any warranty from your operator. See your device’s warranty statement for details. Additionally, due to the modified device software, Sony’s repair network will likely have to replace key components before it can properly test, repair and verify your device using our repair tools and software. Consequently, if Sony performs a warranty repair, Sony will likely charge you a significant service fee for the additional costs caused by your modification of the software.
worstcase: At least the Xperia X is a common model and can be repaired in independent shops which is a step forward from Jollas own hardware.
bestcase: Special sony/jolla agreement that flashing tested sfos image somehow is covered by special warranty agreement, maybe if done with jollas rumored own user friendly flashtool?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
I am curious about this user friendly flashtool. Will it run via USB or is it just some kind of downloadable app? Does it require Windows ?

Will it allow resetting back to Android, or even dual boot? I'm afraid that any user that ends up with a bricked device will create a lot of negative publicity.

Anyway, hope to hear soon before the last Xperia X's are sold out ..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
So basically they ported sailfish to other device and want to sell it, while it has problems and even doesn't support android apps (i remind you that there are still no paid apps on jolla store). And they want it to be as a refund to tablet they did not deliver (and still did not return money, while had money to do more useless stuff)
And how is this port better than any unofficial port of the community members for other devices, which is done by only few (vs Jolla itself) and is free

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
So basically they ported sailfish to other device and want to sell it, while it has problems and even doesn't support android apps
They aim to fix the existing problems (including support for android apps) before start selling it.

they want it to be as a refund to tablet
This was an option they introduced by request from community. Feel free to say no if you don't like it.

how is this port better than any unofficial port of the community members for other devices
It has 64 bit support and I would assume that Jolla devs spend more time on flushing out bugs than other porters. But as mentioned before, it is optional to buy this ported image. Future ports to 64 bit device will more or less depend on Jolla's work on 64 bit so I would assume most people appreciate this port even if they don't buy an xperia.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to tealc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
I can't confirm the above - which version are you using? I get predictions in the bar without xt9 installed (see here).

Also I wouldn't describe it as "pretty terrible" - I was using it without xt9 on Fairphone 2, and found it to be useful. Then Eber42 added some fixes for different screen sizes, and it became even more useful with better predictions.
I have 0.5.12-1. It looks like there is a newer version (0.6.9) available somewhere, although it does not show up in warehouse updates list; I will try installing it manually.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
...and still did not return money...
They did return half of it in May 2016.

Cheers, Rob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Shouldn't a potential future port of SFOS for Xperia X Compact be quite trivial since it's got the same chipset as the X?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salamisami For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I have 0.5.12-1. It looks like there is a newer version (0.6.9) available somewhere, although it does not show up in warehouse updates list; I will try installing it manually.
There are two repos with the okboard engine, one is "official" (eber42) and the other is an unofficial build by Skyjumper, which at the time was quite a lot newer than the official one. Your version number matches the unofficial one (that version wasn't released in the official repo). The official repo now has 0.6.9.

Warehouse probably isn't installing it manually because it's from a different vendor or something - try with zypper?

Anyway, this is a bit off topic here - let's continue in the okboard thread

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tealc View Post
They aim to fix the existing problems (including support for android apps) before start selling it.

This was an option they introduced by request from community. Feel free to say no if you don't like it.

It has 64 bit support and I would assume that Jolla devs spend more time on flushing out bugs than other porters. But as mentioned before, it is optional to buy this ported image. Future ports to 64 bit device will more or less depend on Jolla's work on 64 bit so I would assume most people appreciate this port even if they don't buy an xperia.
If you mean SFOS 64bit then fair enough, but the community is the one that got 64bit devices to run sfos

also if people are wondering what Jolla brings to the table aside from 3rd party stuff. Its usually an insane amount of polish. Compare the Jolla 1 to any port and you can feel the difference. I was told its called productisation

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2017-07-04 at 08:52.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
AFAIK at the moment 64bit support is to run 32bit SailfishOS on 64bit devices.
So kernel is 64bit and userland is 32bit. But maybe it will change when Xperia comes.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x