Active Topics

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I think they need to hit some kind of critical mass and get the ball rolling and give developers a god damn incentive to actually develop.
Paid apps, better documentation, coolabration. Less PR and blog post but more actual actions?

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Paid apps, better documentation, coolabration. Less PR and blog post but more actual actions?
yep. I mean sfos is ripe for a developer since you'd be first over that wall. You make a decent paid app and you'll dominate the competition because there isn't any :P

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

So what would be the reason for Jolla except "it's not android or iOS" as it's not the argument. When I want to choose something good I go - why i like it, and not why I don't like else.
Here's a few reasons why I like Jolla and Sailfish:

I like the gestures. I like the pulley menus, the one hand - friendly operation. I like the ambience thing, the aesthetic of it.
I like that I can modify things I don't like just by looking around and playing with .qml files (e.g. I have brought back the refresh action on the browser cover). While we're at that, I like that I "rooted" the phone just by enabling developer mode in stock settings.

So there, some reasons for you. Now if you're going to try to refute them all one by one for no apparent reason, just know that I can do the same for your OS of choice

P.S. And about the whole open / closed source argument. Indeed one can argue that Sailfish is not all that more open than some Android flavor but are you really comparing Jolla to Google? The first is just a mobile OS company, the second is everything from a search engine to artificial intelligence and then some. It's just not wise to let a company that big control and know about every single aspect of your life, even if the only alternative is letting a lot of other smaller companies in. When Jolla become big and they still haven't open-sourced the code, then I can worry about them as well.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
I think they need to hit some kind of critical mass and get the ball rolling and give developers a god damn incentive to actually develop.
No doubt about that. We agree fully here.

In general I agree with you, but you need to consider that alternative means not something different, but something instead. And if whataspp, facebook is standard in mobile, it would not matter how it's right or wrong or if it should be like that, but that Jolla doesn't really provide that option.
You misunderstood my point. Jolla is offering the vessel for the other alternatives. Simply stated, Jolla is offering a new box; it's up to the others to fill it up.

That last part has yet to happen.

Mobile era is not something new and most standards, apps and functionality are already defined. I'm not saying that it can be changed, but I'm saying that it can't be ignored.
Gonna disagree here. The mobile era is fluid, changeable and swift. Adoption is usually the first big hurdle, but what's hot today might not be hot tomorrow. Folks are too busy aiming at the current target whereas they should be targeting the future.

In the begining I wanted Jolla to succeed and I was in first wave, but they proved me wrong. And as I do not care if they succeed or not ....
We know very well that you've soured on Jolla. Trust me, for it to be any more obvious, it'd be a facial tattoo. You don't want them to succeed wherein I do. We differ there. The more options, even the ones that fail, the better. In fact, the other options being proffered here really aren't options quite yet. A lot of talk, not a lot of deliverables.

So what would be the reason for Jolla except "it's not android or iOS" as it's not the argument.
Then what is? Scorched Earth of Jolla until something else appears that appeals to you and your sensibilities? A lot of rhetoric that really adds up to oft repeated claims that you're unhappy with Jolla and thus they should disappear to satisfy your wants/needs?

"It's not Android or iOS"... that's AN argument. It just doesn't happen to be yours. Same as your argument against Jolla isn't mine.

"I marry you because you are not X or Y, as they are shitty people, that's why I choose you"
Weird analogy. I'm a married man. You choose because it's for better or worse. I do not recall doing that when I purchased my devices.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Speaking of native apps just realized I am also using my own apps for my Jolla

Mymoney and sailserver. But I should fix the bugs in mymoney some day... And write a bitcoin client since no one else seems to do it...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Err... What's the title of this thread again?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
talk.maemo.org ? ;P

(oh, I'm such a terrible person ).

Last edited by javispedro; 2016-07-03 at 23:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Discussion happens... regardless, to pull this back inline; some people have enormous expectations about this incoming device. Personally, I hope that it delivers a better performance than the prior Jolla phone.

Seems like that's already happening. Now... carry on.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-07-04 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I am not sure about the performance, since specwise it seems like a tad less powerful than the original Jolla.

Personally, I'd very happily trade some of it for more battery life. However, I'm not sure if the battery life is much different.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I am not sure about the performance, since specwise it seems like a tad less powerful than the original Jolla.
The reports about more RAM seem to be favorable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os