Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
I have another question for the candidates:
What's your attitude towards the role of Council in the Maemo Community e.V.?

Discussion started here and a referendum is on the to do list for next Council term...
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
What's your attitude towards the role of Council in the Maemo Community e.V.? ...
I am still undecided. This council was so overwhelmed with internal struggles.
I believed it was/is/will be necessary to have a council voted by the community by community to take care of Maemo and concerns/requests/tasks/questions from community (passive member) to e.V. member (regular member) and board.
But as there was not a single input/request from community to council. So these tasks (caring of Maemo, infra (techstaff), "householding", ...) could as well have been done by selected (not voted) e.V. members.
But in the end I think the council should exist and continue as is.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
I have a question for confirmed candidates ...

What are your interest regarding harmattan platform ?

(will ask others once I got 11 answers)
I use both fremantle and harmattan on a daily basis. I would say that I enjoy using my N900 more, since it is the more flexible device. The concept of "mobile computer that happens to include telephony" meshes very happily with how I use mobile technology.

That said, if I need to take an important business call, or am in any situation where reliable telephony is the priority, I will tend to use the N9. Granted, the quality of the N9's hardware is a big reason for this, but certainly harmattan's feel as an "OS designed with a mobile phone in mind" contributes to my preference for using the N9 in those situations.

On a side note, since the N9 users were a bit more dependent on the soon to be shut down Nokia store for applications, it seems worth discussing what we as a community can do in preparation (e.g., encourage developers to upload to open repos), or whether a community response is even necessary (e.g., it is up to the individual user to save his/her required .debs now before they go away), or something else.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
The way I see it, which AFAIK is the way it's always been, is that the Council represents (i.e. is democratically elected by) the community. The latter being the users of maemo.org.

This representation involves acting on behalf of the community as a whole when something needs to be requested from the Maemo e.V., being the legal entity capable of actually entering into any contractual agreements on behalf of the community.

So Council does the politics/lobbying while Maemo e.V. does the (necessary) "bureaucracy".

Just for completeness I'd note that, in terms of "power", the council is below the users (because the users "own" the council), while the council is above the board (because the council tells the board what users want).

I think that does it. If I've gotten all seriously mixed up please somebody stand up and say it loud & clear!

Add. (2014-12-20): When I refer to "Maemo e.V." I refer to the active part of it (Board of directors). The "Council" refers to the one elected by the community (passive members of Maemo e.V., i.e. all of us). Whether the Council is part of the e.V. or external to it is, IMHO, irrelevant (except that the bylaws refer to a Council, so it needs to exist in some form recognized by the e.V.).

Also I still don't quite see the role of the General Assembly (active members of Maemo e.V.), which are a necessary legal aspect but have no clear role in how things are done here. The Board of directors execute both GA's [active members] and Council's [passive members] rulings, which may result in messy situations. But I cannot answer to this or solve this dilemma. If there was a way of having a fake/virtual GA I'd go for it.

Last edited by reinob; 2014-12-20 at 16:33.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, in a way Council and Board are both under the check of the Community, but they do not have power over each other
Rather, they are handling different tasks.

Council is the meeting point of the tasks that need to be done to keep the Community running smoothly.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
On a side note, since the N9 users were a bit more dependent on the soon to be shut down Nokia store for applications, it seems worth discussing what we as a community can do in preparation (e.g., encourage developers to upload to open repos), or whether a community response is even necessary (e.g., it is up to the individual user to save his/her required .debs now before they go away), or something else.
For those who aren't familiar with the situation, here is the related thread. What are the other candidates' views on this? Has this been discussed amongst the current council? Would it be worth contacting Microsokia to see if they'd let us host the Fremantle and Harmattan applications?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
For those who aren't familiar with the situation, here is the related thread. What are the other candidates' views on this? Has this been discussed amongst the current council? Would it be worth contacting Microsokia to see if they'd let us host the Fremantle and Harmattan applications?
I don't know how realistic this may be, but I for one would have interest in having some kind of legal way of hosting the nokia-binaries and such. All things maemo.org are safe but nokia.com is a moving target.

Many of us do have private, non-distributable, copies of most of the stuff (although I, at least for now, keep nothing related to Harmattan). The future council could see what options we have and even try to contact the relevant entities.

(I know, wishful thinking, but we're not talking about NDA-protected source code, just plain old binary hosting of boring and archaic stuff that happens to be really important for a small community

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
I have a question for confirmed candidates ...

What are your interest regarding harmattan platform ?

(will ask others once I got 11 answers)
personally, none i do not expect to have or use a n9/n950 at this point.
but as a community representative i would support any moves to help maintain/develop/support it.

my current position on this, predominately to reduce the chance of power struggles and simplify the structure, would be to dissolve council, but i would prefer to wait until the eV has been fully up and running for a number months before making any moves to ensure everything is working as expected, and ensure everyone understands the system.

What can we as a community do in preparation of the soon to be shut
down Nokia store, or whether a community response is even necessary?
from my (limited) current understanding of the situation it is doubtful that nokia/microsoft is even legally able to give us distribution rights for the bulk of what is hosted there so i would recommend contacting the author of anything you use hosted there and get them to put it on open repos ( or give you permission to do it for them ) i am unaware of any current enquires with nokia/microsoft, but betting asking and being turned down than not asking.

aaron m

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chainsawbike For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
in terms of "power"... council is above the board...
Please see my post over here.

Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
from my (limited) current understanding of the situation it is doubtful that nokia/microsoft is even legally able to give us distribution rights...
...and simply not willing. Of course HiFo tried, but no dice.
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
from my (limited) current understanding of the situation it is doubtful that nokia/microsoft is even legally able to give us distribution rights for the bulk of what is hosted there
How do the Fremantle/Harmattan software distribution rights differ from the Symbian, S40, etc. software distribution rights that have been given to Opera? Could Maemo e.V. not propose a similar deal?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, happy new year