So I'm hanging out with my Family for my Father's birthday, when my 10 year old niece decides to play angry birds (something normal which I let her all the time). While the good times roll, out of the corner of my eye, my beautiful N9 falling to it's ?death? Everyone was having a good laugh, even me, while my niece was crying uncontrollably, poor girl. Everyone saw it and knew of course it was in a million pieces.

Now, this is from the 16th floor of a building, and on the other side of the is concrete. When we went downstairs to pick it up, after 10 minutes of deciding whether or not we should even bother, we found it laying there. To my amazement, the phone was indeed intact. With provided case attached to it, the phone seems like it is still functional ! ! ! I mean, I picked it up and tried to turn it on, and the notification light in the lower left hand corner blinked twice. Since then, it doesn't blink, even while charging.

Now my question is, seeing that it did blink, is there some sort of miracle to know for sure if it can still be a functional device? I will post pictures of it tomorrow and will try to disassemble the phone, but what should I be looking for to know if this phone can be salvaged or good to throw away at my local dump site. The screen is in a million pieces but still intact. This phone definitely survived 16 floors of gravity.
Attached Images

Last edited by johnb543; 2012-09-27 at 18:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnb543 For This Useful Post:
picture of your n9!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
really!?,title made it sound like bad news. Might have to do a flash?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maserti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
Wow! Sorry to hear that but it's actually amazing that it survived in one piece! Hope you will be able to recover your data. I'm just curious, did it fall on grass? And what case do you have?
Edit: i just did a little calculation. Your n9 hit the ground at aprox 100km/h!!! And about it's signs of life...it might be hard to revive it. You have to open it and see what's destroyed. Battery could devastate it quite a lot and many connections between chips and mb can be torn apart. As I think of it more I'm pretty sure it's dead for good but I wouldn't throw it away. I would leave it as a memorial to that sad moment and a true test for finish quality.

Last edited by szymeczek34; 2012-09-27 at 05:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 491 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Pordenone IT
if it doesn't look damaged you can try to bring it to the nokia centre

The Following User Says Thank You to lorenzo For This Useful Post:
Seems loose contact to me

1 : put it screen down

2 : tap on the back with hand (not too hard), there might be a chance it will make contact, since circuit is top facing

3 : try turning it on

4 : GODbless

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I wouldn't count on hitting it as the contacts must be soldered. You might try though push all chips a little to the pcb and heat them with a heater, just like you fix ps3. You just have to be careful not to burn them but we need someone to tell us whether these chips can bare high temps as ps3 operates normally at much higher temp as our omap.

The Following User Says Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnb543 View Post
So I'm hanging out with my Family for my Father's birthday, when my 10 year old niece decides to play angry birds (something normal which I let her all the time). While the good times roll, out of the corner of my eye, my beautiful N9 falling to it's ?death? Everyone was having a good laugh, even me, while my niece was crying uncontrollably, poor girl. Everyone saw it and knew of course it was in a million pieces.

Now, this is from the 16th floor of a building, and on the other side of the is concrete. When we went downstairs to pick it up, after 10 minutes of deciding whether or not we should even bother, we found it laying there. To my amazement, the phone was indeed intact. With provided case attached to it, the phone seems like it is still functional ! ! ! I mean, I picked it up and tried to turn it on, and the notification light in the lower left hand corner blinked twice. Since then, it doesn't blink, even while charging.

Now my question is, seeing that it did blink, is there some sort of miracle to know for sure if it can still be a functional device? I will post pictures of it tomorrow and will try to disassemble the phone, but what should I be looking for to know if this phone can be salvaged or good to throw away at my local dump site. The screen is in a million pieces but still intact. This phone definitely survived 16 floors of gravity.
I call bullsh*t.
PICTURE!

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Whoa, nasty. I'm surprised the plastic body didn't shatter.

The lights blinking very early in boot indicates hardware failure. Try to get it taken apart at Nokia Care, or try to do it yourself - it's quite easy to disassemble the N9.

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Wow, this is epic.. Seriously, some phones get shattered to million pieces from a 2-floor fall!

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post: