Okay, that went pretty well. Simple, clear instructions from bunason.

The tablet seems fine. Reinstalled all my old files but none of the applications/programs (like abiword, the clock in the upper right etc...). That's fine, I didn't have that much and I can re-install all of them.

But one step didn't happen and I'm not clear if it makes a difference.

I followed this:

1) NIT Software Update Wizard installed (dl the newest one from http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410958)
2) Menu/Settings/Backup/restore/New Backup, check all of them, mine is about 18 MB
3) delete apps/books/manual/media files/what nots to make 80 MB space on rootfs, check with diskusage; not quite sure this step is necessary...
4) run NIT Software Update Wizard
5) connect nokia to window box and turn on the N800 while holding/pressing the swap key, the lowest key on the 3 key button, with the icon like a house.
6) 5.2008.43-7 showed up as the latest Diablo, follow on screen instructions
7) when reboot, do a simple setup, the 4 screens setup
8) answer yes when prompted with restoring the latest backup
9) with internet connected, answer yes to "dl and install ALL programs?"
10) press OK to every single apps installed!.... "27 apps successfully installed'
11) You survived!

Everything went right according to plan through #8. When I connected to the internet and the 810 took me to the Application Manager, nothing happened....so I missed # 9 and 10?

Is there something I need to follow up with because of the above?

Also, to continue to be dense, I don't understand re-installing the boot menu...my 810 seems to be functioning normally...what am I missing that this repairs?