Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
can you access files of your sd card? if not, no need for the umount command. if yes, try "umount /dev/mmcblk1p1" (partition one) and if it still does not work, post results of "sfdisk -l" (all as root) which shoul list the devices and partition name.

also you can just try the last command wihtout unmounting anything, it may work (or not)

Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
hey i did umount /dev/mmcblk1p1 and it was ok. now i used the 2nd command to copy my file and its copying since 10 minutes and is unresposive. it once rebooted and showed microsd not supported format then i formatted it using filemanager and it was supported again. then i again unmounted and am copying it. fingers crossed its copying.lets see

hey i kept it aside and it rebooted again.its not copying or has a bug

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Hi.

Originally Posted by zurrain101 View Post
hey i did umount /dev/mmcblk1p1 and it was ok.
I have just jumped here to this point of the conversation and have not yet followed all the posts (just the first ones), but do you have a Linux enviroment? That would ease things.

now i used the 2nd command to copy my file and its copying since 10 minutes and is unresposive.
In my experience, it is useless to use dd to write to the SD card when you are using, say, a card reader on your notebook. Something along the lines of:

Code:
bzip2 -d < /the/bz2/image/you/downloaded > /dev/mmcblk0
is enough, provided that /dev/mmcblk0 is the device corresponding to your microsd card.

Note that the command above decompresses the image and writes what the result of that directly to the whole device (don't use any partitions).

Once you have the microsd card ready and you have installed uboot-pr13, then you are ready to go.

But there is one last, critical step: just put the back cover of your n900 again, or the meego image will not mount the SD card and you will get kernel panics right at the beginning of the boot process (very annoying).

Hope this helps, Rogério.

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by rbrito View Post
Code:
bzip2 -d < /the/bz2/image/you/downloaded > /dev/mmcblk0
Just for the record, the command above is, in my laptop, about 6 times faster (12MB/s) than using dd to write to the SD card (2MB/s).

Hope this helps, Rogério.

hey i succefully installed it on class 4 memory card.it is hell slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to zurrain101 For This Useful Post:
hey can anyone help me with how i can import conacts? and its not showing my music in meego.please help

hey one more thing. it has a bug i thnk. when i lock the screen, it keeps coming back. it keeps coming on after 30 secs and goes off after 30 secs

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Ok the music import problem.

questions:
- which OS (Maemo or Meego) are you using when you manage to mount the other one?
- try to find th folder where your music are, and the folder where you want them to be. Use "ls" to display files and folders, "cd .." to move in folder up, "cd <folder name>/<subfolder if you want>" to move in folders down. In linux all folders come from the root folder (you can go there by typing "cd /"). Usually user stuff is in /home/user/, and mounted partitions are in /media/nameOfPartition. On Maemo, the folders you see on the phone or in mass storage mode are in /home/user/MyDocs/ .

You may want to learn a bit linux if you want to test Meego right now (actually you are learning it now, so enjoy)

hey yes my music is in home/user/mydocs/music. and i want to move it in /dev/mmcblk1p1/music right? that is the meego folder right? i already tried cd -r /home/user/mydocs/music/* /dev/mmcblk1p1 but it showed no such directory /home/user/mydocs/music

Tags
epic facepalm, rtfm dude!, spoonfeed alert, this is classic, yasirrfc