Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
Hey i did all the steps correctly from the dual boot page in wiki. i installed uboot but it was giving error with kernel 47 so i downgraded to v46 but then it removed the kernel automatically so no kernel then. uboot was working fine as i tested. then i downloaded the latest stable .raw.bz2 file from the link in wiki page and uncompressed it using bzip. then i connected my n900 to pc and in mass storage so it showed memory card drive plus n900 drive. i then formatted the memory card from my windows pc. i did a quick format with fat32. then i opened win32disk and wrote the .img file on n900 memoery card. then on phone it showed, memory card format not supported. then i rebooted and uboot said unable to read unable to read boot.scr. error uImage on mmc0:1 . ok so what am i doing wrong? please help me thanks.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Do you have a "normal" card reader at hand? It could be that the N900 does not give you correct access to some bits of the card or else.

Also try formating the card before with nothing (just leaving a blank disk).

You can also retry with a live CD.

hey i dont have a card reader. i tried 3 times before. first flashed it with windows, then with sd formatter, then with internal file manager. then the last time i didnt do anything and wrote image. same error all 4 times.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
You don't need to format the micro sd, you just need to write the image to the disk. Unfortunately I don't really know how to do this under Windows. Maybe use a Linux live cd?

just do it off your phone. it will take a while sure but it will work. use the command sudo dd bs=4096 if=<raw_image> of=/dev/sdX. just make sure you replace the sdX with the actual drive

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
just do it off your phone. it will take a while sure but it will work. use the command sudo dd bs=4096 if=<raw_image> of=/dev/sdX. just make sure you replace the sdX with the actual drive
Second that, just backup before or think twice before pressing enter, but should definitely work.

Edit: no fdisk on the N900, how should he check for the right drive?

Edit 2: I'll would go with (AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Code:
sudo gainroot
umount /dev/mmcblk1
dd bs=4096 if=<raw_image> of=/dev/mmcblk1

Last edited by erendorn; 2011-07-02 at 10:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
hey can u please explain this? i should paste the raw.bz2 file in my memory card and then write the command?

no, the decompressed image.
When you have decompressed the bz2 file, copy it to your phone.
then replace the <raw_image> above by the path to your file, something like /home/user/MyDocs/myMeegoImage.raw (adjust to whatever you have on your phone)

sudo gainroot makes you root

umount /dev/mmcblk1 unmount the microsd card. I hope it works, if it doesn't, paste the output here.

dd bs=4096 if=<raw_image> of=/dev/mmcblk1 will "byte copy" (ie copy byte for byte) the <raw_image> file into the /dev/mmcblk1 pseudo file, which actually represent the sd card. So it will just copy the meego image to the sd card.

Last edited by erendorn; 2011-07-02 at 15:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
ok thanks. i have extracted the .raw file to the n900 by using winrar to decompress. now im gonna write the commands and gonna tell u.
thanks

hey when i write umount /dev/mmcblk1
it says invalid argument

Tags
epic facepalm, rtfm dude!, spoonfeed alert, this is classic, yasirrfc