OK. When you get it fixed, I'd be interested to read if also in practise can be charged through N900 microUSB and N900 software doesn't go nuts because it takes longer time and resistance may be little different that with single battery.

[Some manufacturer could make tiny enough "pass through connector", so 1st battery still would fit in and 2nd battery would nicely clip on top of it to its own 2-pin connector.]

I'd be most interested in a DIY mod, where there would be another battery connector coming from the case parallel and before the original battery connector.

N900 is disassembled
http://sites.google.com/site/svcr0c0/n900

In picture below the obvious place where two cables would be soldered is seen, A, under the original connector and then lead cables (+ and -) nicely through the plastic cover, making hole in the place B. The cables, extra connector and extra battery would be nicely under Mugen cover. Batteries would not need any modification and N900 would had only one small extra hole under the back cover if the hack would be removed later.
Attached Images

Last edited by zimon; 2010-11-19 at 00:53. Reason: URI for the picture was wrong

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
OK. When you get it fixed, I'd be interested to read if also in practise can be charged through N900 microUSB and N900 software doesn't go nuts because it takes longer time and resistance may be little different that with single battery.

I'd be most interested in the mod, where there would be another battery connector coming from the case parallel and before the original battery connector.

In this page, the obvious place where two cables would be soldered is seen.
N900 is disassembled
http://sites.google.com/site/svcr0c0/n900
In this pic the obvious place where two cables would be soldered is seen. Right behind the original connector and then lead cables somehow nicely through the plastic cover still leaving them under back cover:
http://6179764254964084683-a-1802744...attredirects=0

Or better yet, if some manufacturer would make tiny enough pass through connector so 1st battery still would fit in and 2nd battery would nicely clip on top of it to its own connector.
My friend has the same phone so i can test my custom battery in his, but i can say as before this will charge normally as a stock battery, will just take longer.

The idea of battery's that can be stacked is good but has many problems to overcome.
The other thing you are trying to describe does not make total sense, try to elaborate.

Side note on the custom cheap battery:
Buy mugen cover (7$)
buy 4x good battery's ('christgift' or japod battery's), and make 2x 2500mAh+ battery's, now you have battery power to the "extreme" since your backup battery is all so 2500mAh+, this can be done for 18$-25$.
Charge through USB as usual, don't think about the 2mm DC connector i have as it is only there to quick charge ( and because my USB don't work ).
Now you have 2x 2500mAh+ and cover for 32$ max.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2010-11-18 at 11:47.

I mean, like you can buy SIM-adapters in which you can insert two normal (or modified) SIM-cards, there could be "three pin to two pin" battery extender which you could put between the original 3 pin connector and the original 1st battery, and then there would be second 2 pin connector (with some kind of rubber band) where you can connect the 2nd battery on top of the 1st. (I should draw maybe).

The problem I see is there is no much space left when the 1st battery is inserted to the battery hole, so the first battery should maybe be modified anyway.

The idea would be not need to modify the phone itself or batteries themselves at all, but still get two batteries parallel connected and used.

I mean, like you can buy SIM-adapters in which you can insert two normal (or modified) SIM-cards, there could be "three pin to two pin" battery extender which you could put between the original 3 pin connector and the original 1st battery, and then there would be second 2 pin connector (with some kind of rubber band) where you can connect the 2nd battery on top of the 1st. (I should draw maybe).

The problem I see is there is no much space left when the 1st battery is inserted to the battery hole, so the first battery should maybe be modified anyway.

The idea would be not need to modify the phone itself or batteries themselves at all, but still get two batteries parallel connected and used.
Yes that part i got, but as you pointed out yourself there is not much space to do this.
Another problem:
For VERY best results it is pretty important to have 2 battery's that are at same age, same capacity.
The best way is to do what i did in the mod or buy the BIG mugen battery.
And remember you don't have to use the 2mm DC plug that i use, normal USB charging will work fine.
And should have time to test charging via USB on my friend's N900 tomorrow.

It will actually charge bigger batteries more full than smaller ones, because the end of charge threshold is fixed at 50mA (iirc). Well, PR1.3 introduced a feature/bug where the phone is constantly drawing 80mA, so end of charge threshold is never reached, and it just floats the voltage at 4.2V. In theory this causes extra wear and tear on the battery, but it's hard to say if it makes any difference in practice, other than that the battery stays absolutely full staying on charger very long.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
It will actually charge bigger batteries more full than smaller ones, because the end of charge threshold is fixed at 50mA (iirc). Well, PR1.3 introduced a feature/bug where the phone is constantly drawing 80mA, so end of charge threshold is never reached, and it just floats the voltage at 4.2V. In theory this causes extra wear and tear on the battery, but it's hard to say if it makes any difference in practice, other than that the battery stays absolutely full staying on charger very long.
Yes i have noticed that, my dedicated charger charges the battery completely up, where using the phone charger (When USB worked) it would charge to 4.15V max.
My charger of course charges fully and than stops, doesn't float charge.
And i like the fact with my dedicated charger i can charge with 2A which is 0.8C ( just to be "safe" ).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
These hardware mods and discussions always amaze me. Unfortunately, in this case I have one of the giant Mugen batteries and I hardly ever use it. I also have an extra case add-on for the battery, given for free to early orderers of the battery.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
These hardware mods and discussions always amaze me. Unfortunately, in this case I have one of the giant Mugen batteries and I hardly ever use it. I also have an extra case add-on for the battery, given for free to early orderers of the battery.
It is sad that the phone gets so big with this battery / mugen battery, but in my case i really need it, all so i like to experiment, and doing things for cheap, with all the battery's that are on the way and all the tested ones + mugen xl cover, im still under the 95$+ that mugen wants for their battery.
And all so providing a buyers guide to this great forum , so hopefully i can put a damper on people buying from 'e_cell' and other crappy sellers/shops.

[Edited alot].
Maybe it is more clear now that another idea.

Maybe it is more clear now that another idea.
I know what you want to do but:
If your going to use the mugen cover why not just use mugen battery or 2x stock put together
There are many ways to do this, the way im doing it is pretty easy to do, and i will try to make a guide if anybody is interested.
Another way is to just grind a little bit of the top of the plastic on the connector part of the battery and then making a connection from first to second battery just trough + & -, when i get more battery's ill try to make this mod

The thing you describe looks like you want to use the battery's so you can go from mugen cover and the nice original cover, but again this will charge/discharge your battery's uneven, should not give problems to begin with but as time goes one battery could be so used that it will not give anything extra having 2 battery's over the one good that remains.

Tags
battery, battery test, best battery, good bad ugly, modding, mugen battery, scud battery, tool got banned, yasirrfc