According to my order tracking my Gemini PDA has arrived in the Los Angeles postal distribution center. So I should get my device by this week!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I gave in and bought one a few weeks ago.Booted it once to check the hardware, then reflashed with Linux and SFOS. Ive booted linux a couple of times to play with, but otherwise its my daily driver phone.
I've noticed a few issues, but its at least as good as the X was running the community port.

Hoping the external button will answer calls in SF3...
Had a couple of random reboots while in standby - due to current restrictions when it comes back its running android, otherwise I might not have noticed.
Keyboard is great.
Failed to find a decent carry case. Planets own offering looks like it might not be as protective as I would like. Waiting on a custom case from a chinese ebay seller Ive used before.
Some apps dont like the super wide landscape screen e.g.Stellarium
Forum pages often dont render properly in the browser, too wide for the screen and wont scroll or zoom out.

Pretty minor stuff all in all - Roll on SF3!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. How do you make a call with this device? Do you have have to open it up and use the keyboard or touchscreen. Can the keyboard swing back 360 degrees? Just trying to understand if it is difficult to make calls. How is the experience for owners? Thanks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Can you elaborate with a screenshot on the issue with Stellarium Epninety? Does it run with bugs, or does it crash?

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Can the keyboard swing back 360 degrees?
Unless I misunderstood what you meant, no it can't. The angle is fixed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
You have to open the device to make a call. In android theres an external button which can be used to answer, but currently non functional in SFOS.
Can of course answer with BT headset, possibly make calls too if you have a smarter headset than I do.

That reminds me, it does not connect to my (older Land Rover) car BT eitherm but I expected that as the same happened with the X using the community builds.

The Gemini opens like a regular laptop, it does not flip around to give a tablet form factor.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Can you elaborate with a screenshot on the issue with Stellarium Epninety? Does it run with bugs, or does it crash?
Seems to be working, but the layout and scaling is messed up.
It's not specifically a Stellarium issue, theres a few apps I've tried where I cant access a screen button without triggering the pulley system etc.

I seem to notice the network switching bug(*) more often than I did before but that might be just because it's more useable so I'm using it more :-)

(*) Device claims not network connection despite having both mobile and wifi available. Mildly annoying when the email app says 'Sorry I cant connect to the network' with a popup on top saying 'you have 6 new emails'
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Erm, sad. Is it Sterllarium for Sailfish 0.9.1 or is it another version?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Not sure if I'd be happy with this design for a DD. If there was a screen on both the inside and outside of the device I might buy it. So when tbe clam shell is closed I use it like any smartphone and when the clam shell is open I use it more like a computer. Both the phone and computer could have access to same files. That would be nice!

Last edited by mscion; 2018-08-20 at 17:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Erm, sad. Is it Sterllarium for Sailfish 0.9.1 or is it another version?
Stellarium SFM 0.3-1 from OpenRepos (Identifies as 0.12.3 on the console output)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
I think I found another version here on TMO, and I seem to remember it was supposed to fix a display issue. Could be the one you're having. Let me check if I can find the post where I found it, otherwise I can send you the rpm and let you test on the Gemini.

[Edit] Oh, it was here but now I see the one in Openrepos is an update to that, I should probably update too by the way. Sorry for the false hope.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: