I'm looking for a simple Linux OS-image that I can throw on a N900 for recovery use. All it needs is a terminal, be able to mount the SD card and flash, and tar. And, hopefully work nicely with this bootloader. Or some bootloader.

Do you guys know of anything that can do this, and hopefully do it well?

-Rob

http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Ljakob#RescueMenu

Works absolutely beautifully. Ignore the metalab directions and follow the above instructions.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
You could try this

It's a minimal, console-only debian sid image that I've craeated that has pre-installed camera firmware and a small script (/usr/sbin/chargebat) for basic battery charging via i2c (although i'd advice you not to use this script unless it's absolutely needed as messing with the i2c registers in the cpu can be dangerous). It also has watchdog handling so you won't need R&D mode to get it working. But if you are not using the power-kernel and you want bluetooth and networking, you'll have to copy over your kernel modules and firmware to get it up and running.

Other than that, just download and extract it to your memory card and configure the bootmenu accordingly and you'll be good to go.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Thanks both of you.

@hawaii:
Wasn't what I was looking for, but it may be better.
Looks like it will need some tweaks though; I'm trying to build a complete "backup solution" that will image the rootfs -without- Linux. And preferably, without a computer.
I'm thinking in terms of adding a new option/modifying the rsync option to backup the rootfs & opt partition to a specific file on the SD card(Perhaps using DD instead).

@b-man:
Exactly what I was looking for. Of course, depending on how hawaii's solution pans out, I may not really need it - but its good for a backup.
Thanks.

Does anyone have any info how to mount the NAND / JFFS when not booted into it? I already copied the /lib/firmware and /lib/modules to debian. I can boot into debian on external SD, but then the internal SD does not show in /dev/mmcblkX.

I need something to modify Maemo so I don't have to reflash when I mis-modify the boot options.