Active Topics

I know you can buy these USB Dongles that you plug into your laptop that will allow you internet access thru cell phone lines. My question is, will they work with my NIT also?

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
I don't think so, unless the manufacturers provide drivers for maemo. but i may be wrong here...
i usually connect to the net via bluetooth and phone.

To be honest, I've only had the NIT for less than a week now, and before I bought I made sure my phone (Treo 650) could be used to connect NIT to internet. Well, it does, however, the phone can only use RTTx1, which means it's SSSSLLLLOOOWWW. I was hoping for a remedy.

This has been discussed a few times - most usb cellular modems have linux drivers, though you will need to install new kernel modules (and some user space programs for dialing). The main problem is that those modems usually require more power than the NIT provides. For this reason you should use a modem with its own battery, or by its more popular name, cellular phone.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
I've cable broadband in my home office and can't justify spending move for slower connections on cell. My compromise is a Boingo mobile WiFi account at $7.95/mo. Not the always on connection with cellular but Boingo works at Starbucks, McDonalds, many airports and hotels. Works for me.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Washington, DC
Fragos, I have been lurking for about 2 weeks. ...Many of your posts (ex: wifi subscription) have been useful...So Thanks. - madison

I wonder if someone makes a device similiar to a cell phone, however capable of 3G, that I could tether to, without being a cell phone. I do like the Boingo approach, however, that would mean I would have to hop in my car and go someplace, just to get on the Internet. A cell phone like connection, would be much more convient.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by Katuzo View Post
I wonder if someone makes a device similiar to a cell phone, however capable of 3G, that I could tether to, without being a cell phone. I do like the Boingo approach, however, that would mean I would have to hop in my car and go someplace, just to get on the Internet. A cell phone like connection, would be much more convient.
CradlePoint Router

They are actually quite popular, or so I hear... PHS300 looks cool...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The cradlepoint PHS with a cell modem (I have a UM-150 from Pantech with signal strength LEDs on the dongle).

There is a more subtle problem with the tablet's USB implementation - it may not be fast enough. Normally they would just use the ttyACM* or ttyUSB* drivers (or the airprime), and my cell phone and the cell modem are recognized, but after I tell it to start connecting, I get error messages which appear to be from data or interrupt overload.

And yes, the cell modem needs a powered hub inbetween.

Coming out soon is the Novatel Mifi which is a wireless router with built-in 3g modem. They seem to be supporting GSM/GPRS/3G as well as EVDO.

Tags
cell phones, dongles