I'm after setting up a large area wifi and i'd like to be able to roam around and for the 770 to pick up on the closest access point - is this possible? I've tried searching for any way to configure this on a normal PC but i haven't come across anything - any ideas anyone?

I was also looking into achieving this with bluetooth. I've sucessfully connected to my linux box over bluetooth and managed to get the internet, but when you slide the cover on and back off you have to manually reconnect - but i guess this is an issue with the current firmware.

Thanks

Andrew

I think the issue with the cover has to do with going into stand by. When you put the cover over the screen, it puts the whole unit into standby and drops the wireless (wifi / bt) to save battery life.

As for roaming your network. It should do it automatically if you have it set right. In adhoc mode I don't think it works, but if you had it set to infrastructure, it should seamlessly pass to the new access point when the other one becomes too week. For it to work everything has to be on the same channel and ssid.

I haven't really paid attention, but I don't remember having to reconnect to the wireless network between buildings at the college I go to.

If you give every WiFi AP the same name, then you can move between them without needing to actually do anything special, it Just Works(tm).

Regarding Bluetooth, the 770 explicitly kills all BT connections when you close the lid. This is not an accident, or something to be "fixed", but rather a design choice. If you modify the btcond binary, you can make it ignore lid close events.

The 770 never really goes into "standby", it just turns off stuff that uses power like wireless radios, the screen, etc. If you convince it to leave the radios on, it'll keep going just fine. Except that you'll forget you left wifi on, and find your battery is dead.

yeah sometimes i wish it had a simple "suspend" button like on <censored> mobile devices
;P

Originally Posted by Coolty
yeah sometimes i wish it had a simple "suspend" button like on <censored> mobile devices
;P
Why? Out of the box, it is virtually indistinguishable from a "suspend" button, other than the DSP power bug (it leaves the DSP on when you have the audio player paused...)

It's got comparable battery life in its "not exactly suspend" mode to many devices with "real" suspend buttons.